Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Networks & Security Engineer
76221641

Dell inspiron 15. wife forgot password. comes up service tag

Customer Question

Dell inspiron 15. wife forgot password. comes up service tag ihh7c12 enter system password. have no clue. ready to throw in trash. help!
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Dell? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: i think its a 3878 and dont know if its windows 7?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no. she hasnty used it in 6 monthes. was afraid to tell me as it was an anniversary gift. lol
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: ? just dont know how to fix it for her
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mr.med. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 8 months ago.

Solution 1 : Using the Administrator Account

1- Start or restart your computer and press "F8" while the computer boots up. The Advanced Boot Options screen appears.

2- Scroll down to "Safe Mode" with the arrow keys on the keyboard and press "Enter." Your computer starts in Safe Mode.

3-Click on the "Administrator" account that appears on the Windows logon screen

4-Click on "Start" and "Control Panel".

5-You will enter "All Control Panel Items", then click" User Accounts"

6-Then click"Manage Another account" as following.

7-Choose the account which you want to reset the password.

8-Click "Change the password" as following

9-Type a new password ***** that account.

Solution 2 : Bypass Windows 7 password

1-Boot from Windows 7 Installation CD. When your computer boots from the CD, you should click repair your computer option, then choose Command Prompt from various options.

2-Type the following commands: (Please see the attachements)

Exit installation CD, and reboot your PC.

3-While Windows login screen appears, press the Shift key 5 times to bring up the command line interface. Now type command net user <your name> <your new password> to reset windows 7 user password.

example : net user john 123456a

If you don't have the windows 7 installation disc please watch this short video on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLZPsyp0Gc

If you have a moment please rate my answer by clicking on one of the stars, positive rating are appreciated

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 8 months ago.

Do you still need help please?