Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I just switched to Windows 10 an have a major headache for

Customer Question

I just switched to Windows 10 an have a major headache for me and others that send me attachments. When I receive an email with an attachment, I must save the attachment before I do anything with the email, like respond to the sender, or I lose it. It shows up on the email string as <name of attachment file>, but this is not an active link to the attachment. I have to ask the sender to resend the original email.What is the solution? other than saving the attachment before I do anything else with the email?
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

To better understand the problem, please tell me the name of the e-mail program you use to receive and send e-mails. Is it the one that came with Windows 10 called "Mail", or you use another e-mail program?

Type your reply below.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is the email program that came with Windows 10.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for confirming! That one usually works just fine. May I know what e-mail program you used before switching to Windows 10?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Also, please check if you can access the e-mails and the original attachments via the web mail interface, without using the desktop Mail program. For example, if your e-mail account is GMail, open a web browser and go to www.gmail.com

If it is a Microsoft account, open a web browser and go to www.outlook.com

Let me know if you can see e-mails there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was using AT&T.net for my email. I logged on thru att.net and the same issue still exists. The emails are shown as <name of attachment file>. It is not an active link to the attachment.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

In that case, the problem could be with the AT&T server. Do you know when the problem first started to appear? Also, if you have any other e-mail account, check if the same problem happens there as well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The problem started when I switched to Windows 10. I use Hotmail also. I tried sending it to Hotmail and accessing Hotmail directly but it did not show up.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the information!

I can help you with the issue you described; however, since there could be several possible causes of the problem, I suggest we establish a secure remote session so that I can see the problem myself and help you directly.

Let me if you would like that.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No thank you. I do not allow third-party access to my computer.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

In that case, let's continue with this chat, but I won't be able to confirm what the cause of the problem is.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Please tell me how you accessed your e-mail account before switching to Windows 10. Did you use a desktop e-mail program?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I logged onto att.net or hotmail.com. Windows10 Edge has linked both these to the Windows 10 desktop.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

OK. It means your att.net account is still working properly, but something is wrong with the Mail program on your Windows 10 computer. To solve the problem, you will need to sign out of the att.net account there, and sign back in. Have you already tried that?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if you require instructions on how to sign out of your account and then sign back in. Also, in case you don't want to use Windows 10 Mail program, you can use another one, such as Microsoft Outlook, Windows Live Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I think I will get some local on-site help. thank you.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

OK. If you change your mind, I am here to help you further.

Regards,