Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

A few minutes ago had a pop up tell me a Zeus virus has been

Customer Question

A few minutes ago had a pop up tell me a Zeus virus has been detected on my computer and gave me a number to call but it does not match the number shown for microsoft desk. Is this legit?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: First let me tell you I am not very computer literate, sorry. It is an HP and by OS do you mean windows? If not I will have to go see if I can find it somewhere?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No ma'am. Not purposely. If it is set to do it automatically then it did it on its own
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ma'am
Category: Computer
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 6 months ago.

Dear Client,

my name is***** am a computer expert with 17 years of experience and will help you as good as I can.

This is a SCAM (had many clients lately that have been affected by it), please do not follow any of their instructions. Also, your computer might have been infected with a backdoor by these scammers. May I possibly remotely connect to your computer, so that I can directly analyze and clean your computer for you while you can relax and watch me doing it on your screen? This is a very safe option too because JustAnswer is an A+ accredited business with the BBB, you will be watching your screen and we will chat there as well so that you will always know what I will be doing next while fixing the problem.
Should you not be interested in this option and would like to solve the problem via this text-based chat instead, just let me know.

Please reply in the box below (there are no additional costs associated with this, you can reply as often as you wish).

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess I'm going to have to trust someone at some point aren't I so nothing happens to my computer. Yes sir you can connect remotely.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right now I cannot afford that additional fee so I guess I will hope for the best. Thank you though.

I totally understand, I can go a bit lower with the price, if that helps? I really would like to help you... What can you afford, if I may ask that?

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I just had a panicky thought and checked my bank account and it shows a $35.00 charge that I have not made. I did not authorize that amount for anything pertaining to this did I? I only did the $5.00 deposit they asked for

Thank you, ***** ***** am unable to advise about any billing related questions, I am just the technician and can only help you with your computer issue. If you need clarification about the billing, please call JustAnswer customer care at:

USA / Canada 1-***-***-****

Afterward please reply here once again and let me know if you wish to continue.

Thank you very much for your patience,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much Lorenz

No problem of course!