Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions
95132829

Daughters laptop, os is vista home premium make is HP, its

Customer Question

daughters laptop
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: os is vista home premium make is HP
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: its my daughters laptop that she no longer requires and has forgotten admin password
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: tried changing admin password ***** bios but still can't get in
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Is it okay to reset the computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i need to access my daughters laptop. not this one i am contacting you on

Thank you. Does she need any data / file in it?

- Is it okay to reset her laptop fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i need to change the password ***** i can access. without endangering data currently stored on it

We would have to reset the laptop, but we can save the data during the reset process.

Can you shut down her laptop, then turn it back on, then right away, keep pressing & releasing the key F11 quickly and repeatedly to see if you get a menu.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
got menu safe mode menu etc

Does it give the option System recovery / Recovery manager / Repair your computer, etc.?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no

Did you try key F8 or key F11?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
have tried both have tried changing admin password ***** bios already

Please do not go to BIOS / do not change anything in BIOS; it will not help.

Try again please, shut down computer, then turn it back on, then keep tapping the key F11 and see if the hp recovery manager screen appears.

- Do not go to BIOS.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
keep tapping on F11 just getting windows error recovery screen giving various safe mode start ups
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
then after a few secs get onto log in screen

Sorry, do you happen to have the HP restore / recovery disk / windows vista disk?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no i had laptop for 2 yrs before my daughter it has been idle for 2 years or so
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
vista was already pre loaded when i got laptop

I'm sorry. I'm not sure about this issue, but let me open this issue to other experts. Please do not wait; you will get an email message when there is a response from another expert. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
do i get my money back? since the issue hasn't been resolved

We guarantee our service, so don't worry. Another expert will email you when there is a solution. Thank you,

Expert:  Jennifer French replied 8 months ago.

I thought I would give this a shot and suggest following these instructions. I am not sure if they will work, but they may. Otherwise, you may want to contact a local repair tech and ask them to use the Password ***** tool on the Ultimate Boot CD.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Windows-XP-or-Vista-Password

A technician worth their weight in gold knows what the Ultimate Boot CD is. It is a free download of an ISO file. You can burn it to a CD/DVD and access the password ***** tool on the CD upon its boot up on your computer and it will clear any passwords you have. The problem is, you have to know how to use Linux.

If you are interested in learning about it, Google Ultimate Boot CD and learn about it! It's a wonderful tool to have if you know how to use it!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

If you found this helpful at all, please rate my answer with 5-stars so that I may receive credit for answering you today!

Happy New Year!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
reaslly you guys have been no help. i have no recovery disk. i shall have to tak it to a technician. can you please credit my money back

I said nothing of a recovery disk. I stated you or someone with repair experience can download the Ultimate Boot CD, which you can find here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

If you burn the ISO file to a CD or DVD, there is a program on there that can wipe passwords and allow you to set a new one. This disc is free to download and burn if you have a way to burn ISO discs.

Or you can take it to a big box repair company and be charged 100's of dollars to do exactly what that disc will do.

You will need to find someone that knows how to work the disc, you may have to find a local small repair company to do it but they are a lot more cost effective than big box repair companies.

In summary, your 2 options would be to use this disc or take it in for repair. There is no other way, besides the options that we have given you to use the Recovery disk that you DON'T have, that will reset an administrative password ***** Windows Vista, which is currently an obsolete operating system in the first place.

Also, no money has been taken from you at all but we have given you valid options to resolve your issue.

Have a Happy New Year!