I switched to frontier fios from comcast. They installed a…

Customer Question
I switched to frontier...

I switched to frontier fios from comcast. They installed a Zyxel HLA3105 and connected thei cheap ruoter via ethernet. They said I could use my RT-AC68W instead of their router.
With their router I got 39 mbps up and down. With my router I got 10 to 22 mbps down and 3 to 8 mbps (same as comcast results). all speeds were done on a wired connection.
What settings should I change to get full speed?

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular Comcast product?

10 years

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Installed latest firmware

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
12/31/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

If you were on a wired connection......theres isnt anythign you can change to get speed improvements.

its already auto optimized.

However, for every device in the daisy chain, does have an impact on latency.....and therefore throughput/bandwidth.

Afterall throughput metrics work on a time scale.

and when the data has to hop through MORE devices....then it obviously takes a teeny tiny bit longer for every packet.

multiplied by the amount of packets, it can add up

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand that more devices could slow the speed so I my only changed was to replace the router between the computer and the HLA3105.

okay....well, each router has its own CPU and software.

they are not all the same. routers/modems/wireless are all computers.....they have a CPU, they have RAM, they have an OS (called firmware) they also have storage in thr form of flash.

As we all know....not all computers are the same......routers/switches/wireless is no different.

So, if i was going to make a decision......i would say its the difference between the hardware in the devices, that will give you different results in the speed test.

I dont know how your making those tests either? are you using a website?

Those dont work all that great......and typiclal only show you the rate of the ISP, and not the actual LOCAL rate.

But, Typically the more expensive the unit.....the better it will perform

Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070