Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I want to give it to my daughter in law and would like to

Customer Question

I want to give it to my daughter in law and would like to reset to factory condition. windows vista home premium. model M-6823
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Gateway m-6823
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, I haven't used the laptop for a couple of years
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't have the laptop hooked up to wifi now. ican if need be.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 6 months ago.

Factory condition? You're lucky if Vista even works in "factory condition!" Why not just remove your personal files (which most people put under MyDocuments and MyPhotos and such) and leave it at that?

I GUARANTEE you, if you start removing this and that piecemeal, you're going to end up with more problems than you know what to do with.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Really,
There isn't a restore function or reformat method?

"Reformatting" will destroy the hard drive and you'd have to reinstall the operating system, utilities, etc. Any customizations you had performed would also be gone.

Had you a backup of the settings that were there when you took the machine out of the box, you could reset to that state--although it's not trivial to achieve.

Otherwise, your best bet is to remove your personal files (use an erasing utility like Eraser: please stay away from BleachBit). That will also preserve handy customizations to the environment that you've effected over the eons. "What customizations?" you say. You've probably tinkered with dozens of things that you just don't recall offhand!