My key board is acting up. I bought a new one and new I

Customer Question
fixed it but it started...
My key board is acting up. I bought a new one and new I fixed it but it started acting up again . I can unplug the wireless "stick" and plug it back in and get by for a while. What happens is you don't get a character that you ask for. example Brad might look like lr7b .
JA: I hope not. What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: HP
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Micrsoft forced me to go to 10 and the other day ( a few weeks ago ) it tricked me into signing up for an account . Now I have to log in with my email and an ungodly long password ***** my computer.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer
12/31/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hello! Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com; I am Russell H., an Expert here at JustAnswer.com, and I will do what I can to answer your question as well as it can be answered.

I gather that the keyboard is wireless, but what maker and model is it, please?

Was the keyboard that acted funny before, also wireless, and did it have the same problem?

The original key board was HP and came with the computer.

So the original keyboard was wired to the HP I presume, then.

Is it still attached, when you are using the new Wireless keyboard?

No. I threw it out because this new key board worked. So I knew I was good. Wrong again .

Wrong? not altogether. Keeping the old keyboard plugged into the machine would have been wrong and might have added to the problem.

I think that the next thing to consider in this case (since the problem does not follow the keyboard) is to ask or inquire, What anti-virus utility do you have on the computer?

And also, what Firewall is on it?

You may find out about both Anti-Virus and Firewall status and identity, by going to

Control Panel

and then searching for

Security Center

in the Search box at upper right in your Control Panel window, and then find the information in the Security Center window.

What's the info on your Firewall status and your Anti-Virus status, please?

Ok. I'll check. I do have Kapersky. Let me check the other for you.

Good so far.

It says the Firewall is managed by Kapersky

And, I hope, both

- Firewall is On

- Anti-Virus is On

and

- Spyware Protection is On, too.

?

If all those are fine, then is your Kaspersky fully and recently updated? and has it been used, to do a prolonged and Full Scan of the C: Hard Drive, recently?

It is on and up to date. Full scan may have been a while. I think I may have done one 4 or 5 weeks ago but not sure. Not often though.

Thanks for checking on that.

How long has the keyboard had this problem?

We did recently get ID Theft Protection through GEICO ( EUROP Assistance ) and they monitor our computer too, apparently. I just saw that reminder.
The problem has been off and on for about 2 months .

Then your recent (4 or 5 weeks ago) scan should have taken care of that problem.

I don't know what to say at this point, since everything has checked out OK so far except:

Have you kept your computer's Windows updated too?

Try running Windows Update and make sure.

Sorry. Not real savvy on the computer , especially since Windows 10 took over my computer without my wanting it . Still looking
Ok. Found on Windows Deffender and turned on updates.

Windows Defender updates are trivial.

Search for

Windows Update

and make sure it's correctly spelled, and that should find it.

You saw that extra f huh ? lol . Damn smart phone auto correct ruins typing . I'm not finding Windows Update
I don't know where to type it.

Auto-correct can sometimes be an impediment to communication. I'm familiar with that.

Windows Update

not found?? open Internet Explorer (the big blue 'E') and go to

touch Alt key

Tools

Windows Update

to run it from there.

ok

Let me know how that goes.

Sorry. Developer Tools is all I'm finding.
I appreciate your patience with me. I have to go visit my mother in a home now . I'll look into this later . Thank you

That's strange. No 'Windows Update' ?

You have to hold down the Alt key briefly, to bring the old 'Alt-menu' back into view.

Then you have to go to

Tools

in that menu... you can do this by holding down Alt, and pressing T, also.

But stop this process for now, and visit your Mother by all means, and resume this case later at

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/a4ezf-key-board-acting-up-bought-new-one-new.html

There's a solution for it, I'm pretty sure. Just that we'll have to get to it later. Thanks.

Thanks again. I don't see any changes when I hit ALT. You are dealing with somebody that used a Big Chief Note Pad and Number 2 pencil in Grade school though. Lol

Well. If you cannot access Widows Update on your computer at all - not even by using

Search

then entering (spelling it exactly)

Windows Update

then in that case something would be wrong with the computer's Windows operating system for sure!

I think there's one more approach, when you are at the computer, and when you have time. Just ask about the 'website' method when we resume. Have a good day.

Andy, Computer Consultant