I have an apple Ipad and just recently changed providers

Customer Question
from AT&t to Sprint....
I have an apple Ipad and just recently changed providers from AT&t to Sprint. In doing so, I am asked by Apple to do the activation lock. However, the Apple ID is a six digit number while the ID we previously used was more than six. We have not record of the 6 digit ID. I do have the MEID number. Name is*****: How old is your iPad, and what model are you using?
Customer: I am not sure the model. Where do I find that. I know that Sprint supported this Ipad. Probably about 2-3 years old
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Been a couple of weeks
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Know, just hoping to use the Ipad
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
12/21/2016
Tech Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 11 months ago
John T. F., Mac Druid

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

It sounds like you are being asked for a passcode rather than dealing with Activation Lock at this point.

If you do not remember the passcode for the iPad then you will have to reset the device.

The following procedure is a special device firmware update mode. It will erase your Apple device, remove any passcodes, and then re-sync user data once it is done (provided you have a backup of some kind).

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update (or “Apple Store” for OS X 10.9 users) > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

-> Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it

-> Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

-> Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the volume down button (on the left) for 10 seconds

-> Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the volume down button, until...

-> iTunes should alert you it’s detected a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

Note: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. When we are finished, please give my answers a positive rating so I will be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

John T. F., Mac Druid