I too never received any instructions with this USB. How do

Customer Question
I make it work? JA: What's...
I too never received any instructions with this USB. How do I make it work?
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? Have you had problems with the USB port in the past?
Customer: WD Elements 1 TB, basic storage
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I plug it into the computer an iMac desktop 27#
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
11/29/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Bob James, IT Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Bob James
Bob James, IT Support Specialist

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help.

Are you trying to connect and use an external hard drive, connected by USB? Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks,
Bob

Do you still need help with this?

Thanks,

Bob

Tech Support Specialist: Jon, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Jon
Jon, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is***** get started. If the USB flash drive is not "working" it means it probably just needs to be in the correct format for your imac to read it or see it. Just make sure that this is a new flash drive or one that can get erased as all files on the flash drive will be erased once you format . Below are the instructions but I can always remote into your computer if you are not comfortable doing these steps your self. Just let me know by replying to this message. However, if you would like to try it out, here is what you need to do:

1. Insert the USB flash drive into one of your mac's usb ports.
  2. Then on your mac, open the app called "disk utility"
  3. In the left side menu, select the name of the USB flash drive, in this case it sounds like the default name is ***** *****
  4. then on the right side choose "erase".
  5. then under format, choose Mac OS extended (Journaled)
  6. then for the name you can name it what you wish
  7. Click the erase button on the bottom.

This will format the entire USB flash drive and then you should see it appear on your mac's desktop, look for the name you called it.

If you do not see it appear on your desktop you might not have the proper finder preferences set.

If that is the case do the following from your desktop:

1. In the Finder, choose Finder > Preferences.

2. Click General, then select the items you want to see on the desktop.

For example, if you select “external disks” then yo will see the USB flash drive.

3. Then close the finder preferences.

Let me know if this helps. If so, please consider to rate my service. Also, let me know if it doesn't work as I can further assist.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Computer Support Specialist