Lenovo T440 Windows 7 black screen and cursor only. Lenovo

Customer Question
tools displays set points but JA...
Lenovo T440 Windows 7 black screen and cursor only. Lenovo tools displays set points but
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Lenovo? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: T;440 System 7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: System Restore lists set points but Local Disk (Unknown)
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Last night I let Adobe update. It hung.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Computer
11/24/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Byron, Computer Support Specialist replied 12 months ago
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

See if you can run System Restore this way.

Start or restart the machine and as soon as you see the manufacturer logo screen begin tapping

the F8 key about once per second. An advanced boot menu screen should appear. If Windows goes to

login screen repeat the procedure, tapping F8 sooner.

On the advanced boot screen use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and

press Enter.

Log in and you'll be brought to a black screen with a c:\windows\system32>_ blinking cursor

Type in: rstrui.exe and press Enter.

System Restore should open (if not immediately, give it a few moments)

When it opens select a restore point prior to the update, click Next then Finish and run the restore.

Let me know the result please.

That takes me to the same System Restore interface, same problem. It can't find the right path to the restore point
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 12 months ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Question, if you start the computer and tap f8, and then choose safe mode with networking.

What happens?

Same black screen with cursor. I tried every option.

Do you have another windows computer available?

Another Lenovo T440 Windows 7.

Thank you, ***** ***** you know the exact version of windows 7 you have, such as windows 7 home 32 bit, windows 7 home 64 bit, etc?

( on the non working computer?)

This service us very confusing. I can't tell if I have multiple threads at once. Do I?

It looks like you have only one thread. However, there was a previous expert who was helping you, who opted out. ( Byron)

My name is Dustin.. And I need you to try and respond to my last question,

do you know the exact version of windows 7 you have, such as windows 7 home 32 bit, windows 7 home 64 bit, etc?

( on the non working computer?)

Systems 7 pro 64 bit

If you dont have a windows 7 pro boot disk, let me know.

If you do have one we need to follow method one shown on this page

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-repair-a-faulty-windows-installation-without-reformatting/

Method 1: Repair Windows Even If You Can't Get To Your Desktop

No disk.
Still there?

We need to make a disk then.

From your other windows 7 computer.. You should be able to create a repair disk as follows.

1. Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.
  2. In the left pane, click Create a system repair disc, and then follow the steps. If you're prompted for an administrator password ***** confirmation, type the password ***** provide confirmation.

Once the disk is created, we need to boot the non working computer from the disk.. And then try the steps I suggested.

D.S

I'm on that website in my other computer. It will take me a few minutes to read that. I'm on my way to a thanksgiving visit but have a hotspot in my car (I'm not driving). I have a thumb drive but probably not enough space for the restore. Hard to switch dusk boot ruder too.
Hard to switch disk boot order too.
I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Windows. Big hassle protecting data on drive.
The working laptop can't use USB disk for restore. Neither laptop has a disk drive.
I probably need to buy a USB DVD drive. Tomorrow.
Do I just reply to this again when I'm ready for next step?

It can be a usb or a cd drive.. Either one.

Tomorrow may be best, ***** need to leave for my thanksgiving dinner as well.

I will watch for your replies tomorrow,

Dustin S

The working T440 won't make a disk on the usb.

It can also make a cd repair disk.. It doesnt have to be usb

Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 11 months ago

Hello, my name is Dustin,

Did you still need help with this issue? If so, please respond so we can get started.

Otherwise, if you want to cancel this support ticket, please respond and let us know so that we know to close this ticket out. Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Over the weekend I had a backup copy of the damaged drive made and made a clone copy on a new HDD that I can perform surgery on without making the origional drive any worse. I will try to do a nondestructive install of Windiws 7 tomorrow to try to get past the black screen with cursor. I am trying to repair Win 7 to avoid the multiple man days it will take to reinstall all my apps, passwords, browser history, etc on a fresh Win 7 install.

Understood.. Sounds like you have a solid plan..

About the only thing a non destructive reinstall cant fix, is BCD or MBR errors.. But those are fixable with a few command prompt commands.

Ill be working all day tomorrow, and will be ready to consult with you as needed.

Dustin S

Ok. Maybe it's a BCD or MBR error. Please send me a message when you are ready to try command prompts.

Good morning..

If you can boot from the repair disk, and then choose repair your computer, and then go to the command prompt.. Lets try running these commands..

bootrec.exe /fixmbr hit enter.. Then run this next

bootrec.exe /fixboot hit enter, and then run this one

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Once that command completes, restart the computer , remove the disk and see if it will boot normally now, or if you get an error, regardless of the outcome send a reply and let me know the results, when you can.

Thank you,

Dustin S

I ran the bcd repair but still get the black screen with cursor.

To be clear you ran all three commands?

if so, did you have the CD / USb drive removed before you rebooted? If not, then remove it and then restart.

If that doesnt help, go back to the command prompt and try this next

bootrec.exe /scanos Hit enter, then next

bootrec /fixmbr And hit enter again, and next

bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force and hit enter

Once that completes, remove the disk and then restart the computer again.. What happens?

I had already run the rebuildbcd before your last message. Now I can't get back to a command line (to run fixmbr, fixboot), perhaps due to running rebuildbcd. I have tried F1 through F12, Enter, Esc, space bar, etc during boot. Nothing takes me back to Lenovo diagnostics which has the eight choices including command prompt. I'm stuck.bootrec.exe /fixmbr hit enter.. Then run this next
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

My apologies for the delay.. My system went down today and Ive just got everything ironed out.

Did you remove the cd after running the rebuild commands?

If you boot with the cd, does it make any difference or boot without the cd?

It is still not working. I have another PC repair company taking a try. This will take a few more days. I will reply again after they succeed or fail.

Understood, I hope they're able to get it running properly again.

Keep me posted.

Dustin S

Ok. Will do.

Alright, not trying to spam message you but its company policy that I respond to every message I am sent.

Dustin S

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist