IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I'm using CrashPlan backup program to back up server data to

Customer Question

I'm using CrashPlan backup program to back up server data to my computer. But it won't connect due to firewall blocking, so I added crashplan through window filrewall but still not connecting. If I turn off the firewall then it gets connected and start baking up the files but I don't feel safe to turn off server's firewall. How should I fix this issue?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Lets find the exact ports Crash Plan is using, and open only those ports for incoming AND outgoing traffic , on each computer or workstation that needs to use crashplan.

This page will help you identify the ports

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Identifying_Ports_Used_By_The_Code42_CrashPlan_App

If you cant find the port, or you are unsure how to allow tcp and udp for incoming and outgoing connections, in windows firewall for a specific port, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
After removing the windows.old, reboot the computer but it says operating system not found. Please advise
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry wrong massage, I'm planing to try your instruction when I go to work
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

Understood, Remember the concept here is we only open just the ports that are needed for crash plan..

That way your firewall is still up, but the program is allowed through.. If you run into any issues let me know.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can you kindly give me more specific step by step instruction, the link that you gave me has too much information.
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

What exact version number of crash plan are you using on the server, and workstations?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4.8.0_Wind64 for desktop and 4.8.0_Win for server
Expert:  Dustin replied 8 months ago.

Thank you , and my apologies for the delay.. I was off during the day shift today and have just started the night shift..

I have a bit of catching up to do and once finished, Ill try to break down the needed steps in an easier to follow message.

D.S

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, please
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I'm still waiting for your response.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dustin, it's been many days I've been waiting??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dustin, if you can't answer my question, kindly turn it over to other expert, I've been waiting for many days....
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you.

I remember helping you with the previous CrashPlan question. May I know if you still require assistance with this one?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello again!

Here are the instructions on how to properly allow CrashPlan through Windows Firewall. The same instructions work for both server and workstation computer.

1. Exit CrashPlan

2. Start Windows Firewall. You can do that by going to Control Panel and clicking on the System and Security category, and then clicking on Windows Firewall. You can also type Windows Firewall in the search box and start it from there

3. When the Windows Firewall window opens, click on Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall located on the left pane

4. Click on the Change settings button at the top so that you can make the changes. If the button is grayed out, it means you can already make the changes

5. You need to add a CrashPlan executable file named CrashPlanService to the list of allowed programs. There are several CrashPlan executable files. If you added any other, the connection will still be blocked by Windows Firewall. So, click on the Allow another program... button located at the bottom

6. When the Add a program window opens, click on CrashPlan on the list, but do not click OK, but instead, click on the Browse... button

7. It will point to the CrashPlan installation folder. There click on a file named CrashPlanService

8. You should then see the correct CrashPlan executable file added to the list that says CrashPlan backup engine which backs up your files!

9. Click on it and then click on the Add button located at the bottom

10. The same file will be added to the Windows Firewall list of allowed programs. You can now check all check-boxes for it to allow CrashPlan to fully work on all Windows Firewall profiles (networks)

11. When done, click OK at the bottom

12. Start CrashPlan and it should now successfully communicate with your other computer and start saving the backup files. You may need to follow the same steps on your other computer to allow CrashPlan through Windows Firewall there as well

Let me know if the instructions worked.

Regards,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there is CrashPlanService already listed on the allowed programs and features but I need to choose another one from the Allow another program's list? but I followed your instruction by clicking Allw another program, click CrashPlan, Click Browse, but I don't find the CrashPlanService on the list??
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello again!

If you already see CrashPlanService listed there, it means it should work; however, I suggest removing it and then re-adding it, as well as other CrashPlan executable files. Here is how to do it:

1. Exit CrashPlan

2. Un-hide hidden files and folders. To do that, open any folder and then click on Organize shown in the upper left corner, and then click on Folder and search options. When the Folder Options window opens, click on the View tab. There select Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Click OK to save the changes

3. Start Windows Firewall. Click on Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall located on the left pane

5. Locate all items mentioning CrashPlan and remove them from the list by clicking on the Remove button

6. Click on the Allow another program... button located at the bottom

7. When the Add a program window opens, do not select any of the CrashPlan items that may appear, but instead, click on the Browse... button

8. Now point to the CrashPlan installation folder. By default it is:

Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Users > [your user name] > AppData > Local > Programs > CrashPlan

9. Select CrashPlanService and then click Add to add it to the list of allowed programs. Check all check-boxes for it to allow it to fully work on all Windows Firewall profiles (networks)

10. Do the same for other two CrashPlan executable files, named CrashPlanDesktop and CrashPlanTray

11. When done, the list of allowed programs should show 3 CrashPlan items:

- CrashPlan

- CrashPlan backup engine which backs up your files!

- CrashPlanTray

Click OK and start the CrashPlan program to see if it can fully work now

Let me know the results.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.

Hello again!

Were you able to follow my last instructions? Did the help solve the problem?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If there is already crashplan service on the list then why remove and reinstall?
Also how do you exit Crashplan, you mean just close the app or completly stop? To stop, I have to put commend word manually.
I can't find "Organize" please tell me how to find it.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello again!

If you already see CrashPlan on the list, but it still won't work when Windows Firewall is enabled, please remove it and re-add it as I suggested. It should then work. In case you pointed to "Local Disk (C:) > Users > [your user name] > AppData > Local > Programs > CrashPlan", but cannot see the CrashPlan files there, please check in "Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > CrashPlan" or "Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > CrashPlan" instead.

To exit CrashPlan, right-click on its icon in the system tray (near the clock) and select Exit. Its icon looks like a green house. If you don't see the icon, click on the little arrow facing top to expand all icons in the system tray.

The "Organize" menu is located in the upper left corner of any Explorer window. See this picture:

PICTURE

Let me know if you could make CrashPlan to work with Windows Firewall. If the problem persists, I can remotely connect to your computer and help you directly.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello again!

Were you able make CrashPlan to work with Windows Firewall?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
crashplan service is not removable, the remove button gets greyed out when you choose it.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello! Let me know when you are available so that we can establish a secure remote assistance. I will then be able to see the problem myself and help you solve it as it seems you cannot follow my instructions.

Regards,