I have too much (7GB) photos in my google drive / photos

Customer Question
account. I migrated them to...
I have too much (7GB) photos in my google drive / photos account. I migrated them to Amazon.
But I want to keep just my videos on the google drive since Amazon Prime doesn't include videos in the unlimited photos offer.How do I delete just the photos in a non-manual way?
I have a mac and a pc so I could use tool/program from either one.
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Computer
11/22/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 12 months ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that, if the photos were all JPG or JPEG type, you could easily delete them by file type.

Would that sound like the right approach?

If so, let me know, and I will instruct you as to how to go about a fairly automated delete of just some file types, with complete safety to the other file types.

that sounds like the correct approach, thanks!

OK.

Go to your PC.

Open a Command Prompt window.

Do a CD command to get into the directory or folder where the photos are stored (if they are in several directories, then hopefully they all are in folders that branch off of a base folder, if so, do a CD command to that base folder.

OK so far? if any detail is puzzling, let me know. Or if you like, I can remote-control your PC while you watch, and step through the procedure for you, slowly and clearly.

This is on google drive, so command prompt won't work.

That's different. Let me think about that for a minute...

How many folders are the photos in?

Google Drive seems to set them up for 12 in a year, so this is over 5 years so there would be 60 not including the parent.

Well here's one way:

Do a search for

*.jpeg

in the Search bar at the top of Google Drive. (Perhaps it goes into subfolders... if so, it may select photos from other folders than the ones you want it to ? are there any photo files you have anywhere on Google Drive in any context that you don't want to delete? if so, this search will find them also.)

Let me know if that finds all the photo files, at a glance, that you want to delete, and none (at a glance, again) that you don't want to delete. (If so, you may delete them all, having found them this way.)

Does that work?

It almost works but not being able to search within a folder is grabbing files that have the same file type but aren't in the photos folder.

(Pardon the delay in responding - in fact I took a nap for a bit to be honest.)

I was afraid that this technique would not be specific enough.

I don't know of any script or command-line command that would work with Google Drive.

(Though there may be such a thing.)

However, if you copied the Google Drive folders with photos in them to one folder (as sub-folders of that one folder) that had nothing else in it - a folder created specially for that purpose on your PC - then a command could delete just the photo-type files, quite easily and safely.

Is that or is that not an acceptable way to do this? if not I will seek a command or script type if there is one, that would work on Google Drive (but if that's how it is, tell me whether your Google Drive has other photo files in it that you do NOT want to delete.)

I don't have enough space on my Google drive to do the copy folder method

You would be copying folder FROM out of Google Drive on TO your computer.

It wouldn't take space on the Google Drive, that way.

Then I'd have to upload the videos back and risk the upload not succeeding and managing the monitoring of that
I still want the videos to stay on my Google drive

OK. I'll look for a script or other method then.

Question: are the videos and photos of a given date range? or do they have a common name format? or just the photos have a common name format?

It look like the photos have the naming convention of starting with IMG_#### and ending with jpg, though after the initial 4 digits there are a couple of variations. The videos start with VID_#### and end with mp4, though this naming convention might exist in the folders that are outside of the google photos folder on my drive.

OK.

Open Google Drive.

Click on the empty search box at the top, once.

Click on the down-arrow at the right end of the Search box to open Advanced options.

Select

Photos & Images

for Type at the top, then also enter

IMG_

for the Item Name

and then click on Search.

See if that brings up a listing of just the image files that you want to delete, and no others.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

How does that exclude any files in my non photo drive that I don't want impacted?

"Files in my non photo drive" ?

I was afraid some such issue might be involved, so I did not instruct you to delete from there.

Do you mean, there are other photo files on the Google Drive that you do not want to delete, that might also be named IMG_xxxxx.jpg, or the like ?

exactly.

Looking at the listing found by the search I directed you to make, are there any examples, even one, of such files that you can spot on a minute or two's examination?

(I don't know whether the search found thousands, or dozens, or what quantity. If I speak inappropriately about the task, it's because I have no idea of overall sizes/numbers of files. How many files and folders are there in your Google Drive, total? ... if you don't know, there are ways to get those figures easily. Let me know, please. Thanks.)

I can't tell because I have a lot of other folders and files in my drive.

Scroll down to the end of the Google Drive folders-and-files listing.

Hold down Ctrl key, hit A key, release both.

(To select all.)

Then click 'Preview' and you'll see (after a moment or two) the number of files (and folder?) at the bottom of the page.

What does that indicate?

After selecting all preview just seemed to preview the first document

Does a count of documents, a number, appear at the bottom of the page, once you have hit Preview?

No, it's a full screen preview of one document.
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 11 months ago

Did you Select All first, and not switch to selecting only one document? that ought to produce a count of documents.

But this is badly sidetracked from the main intent of your question. You need to separate the image files you wish to delete, from the ones you do not wish to delete. It sounds as if, given that the file names of the to-delete images, and the file names of the to-save-and-not-delete documents are much the same (starting with IMG_ and going on), then there is no solution in any script that might be run either.

Can you think of any distinction that would separate out your to-save-and-not-delete JPG or image files, from the ones that are to-be-deleted?

Russell H., Computer Systems Expert