I have a computer running Windows Vista. For the last month

I have a computer running...
I have a computer running Windows Vista. For the last month or so, I have been unable to successfully run Windows updates. Can you help me fix this?
11/17/2016
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

What is the error message you receive when the updates fail to install?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no error message. The message "Downloading Updates" just stays up indefinitely and the bar chart always shows "0% complete". It can stay like that overnight or even longer. If I eventually cancel the Windows Update and shut down the computer, and then later check the Windows Update history, it shows as a "Failed" update.

thanks

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me please if the updates install.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, Richard -- I followed these instructions, but the problem still persists. Note: after I typed "scannow", there was a message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log ...."What do we do next? Nitsan

did you do the following steps?

type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

I did type in chkdsk /r and enter. After I did so, I got the following message: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts." (And then I did a restart ....)

thanks, ***** ***** sfc /scannow again, can it repair it this time?

I ran sfc/scannow again, restarted, and am currently trying to run Windows Update. It doesn't look encouraging, but I'll wait until tomorrow morning before deeming this unsuccessful.

ok, though did it say it repaired this time?

I'm not sure.

ok, is the problem resolved?

No, it is not resolved.

Thanks

Can you download and run this file please

http://aka.ms/diag_wu10

Let it complete and then restart and tell me if it then updates please.

How do I run this file? When I hit the START button, type "Run", and browse to the location where I saved your diagnostic file, I get the following message: "Windows cannot open the file wu10.diag.cab. To open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do?" The message then gives me a radio-button choice between using the Web service to look up the correct program or selecting a program from the list of installed programs. I tried using the Web service, but it just brought me to a Windows File Association website that stated that it didn't recognize the file type of the file that I am trying to open.

It is a standard executable, so you would double click it, the fact you cannot run it is likely part of this issue

Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if it then updates please

Richard, I tried this, but it didn't help, as far as I can see.

ok, the only step now left is a reinstallation of Vista, all repair options have failed.

Can you backup all data from the computer and then tell me the make and model of the computer so we can do this please.

I am not too happy about this in particular and about the Windows PC experience in general. I find it a real hassle to be constantly updating and worrying about bugs, viruses, and other computer technical issues. I've been thinking about buying and switching to a Mac instead. A few questions in this regard: 1) Is it true that McIntoshes have fewer problems of this sort? 2) Can Macs run the standard Windows Office applications (e.g. Word, Excel) and standard Windows Gallery pictures (TIF JPG etc files) "out of the box"? 3) I use a wireless router for my computer and Windows-based computers of other family members. If I switch my computer to a Mac, can the wireless router be used for multiple computers even though one is a Mac and the other is a Windows PC? 4) What kind of Mac would you recommend for "regular" activity i.e. spreadsheets, Word documents, photographs, email, web browsing, scanning documents, etc. (I do not need outsized capacity for "heavy" gaming graphics or movie streaming and the like.) 5) Can you recommend any "tech geek" companies in New York City that will make a "house call" and help copy my documents, spreadsheets, photos etc from the Windows PC to the new Mac and generally get everything set up? Preferably a company that has extensive experience with Macs. Thank you, Nitsan.

1) Yes this is true and 2) yes the can run Office, but you need to use the mac version and they can open all photos out of the box

3) This will be no problem, the wireless will work fine

4) I would recommend a macbook, it is portable and mid level so you do not pay for the power of a Mac you do not need.

5) You can use this company for this http://promacnyc.com/

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thank you. That is very helpful. Can the McIntosh version of Office open Word documents or Excel spreadsheets that were created with the Windows version of Office?

yes, this it can do.

Thank you

Richard, Computer Specialist
Richard, Computer Specialist