Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I've already asked your support in 2013 !) Now the following

Hello (I've already asked your support in 2013 !)
Now the following problem : Sometimes (+/- 3x/day), the user interface freezes totally : no more move of the mouse, no possible action from the keyboard ; no possibility of "ALT-CTRL-DEL". Only a reboot with the button on the PC. Still an indication : I had first this problem with Photoshop (CC) and it is probably resolved there since I have the use of the GPU unchecked in the preferences of Photoshop. But the problem remains in Explorer etc.

Hi there and welcome Francis

This is usually a sign of data corruption so I would like you please to do the following to run the windows repair tool.

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me how it now functions please

---

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Result of the "scannow" = "Windows did not find any integrity violation"
Result of the "chkdsk" = CLEAN.

chkdsk wont say clean, and it usually takes longer to perform...

Did you restart the computer and you saw it scanning in 5 phases?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've restarted indeed, and the chksdk started also automatically since I had typed "chkdsk /r" (and answered "Y") after the scannow.

ok, how is the computer now performing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't see it : the problem takes place sometimes 2 of 3 times /day, sometimes no problem a full week...

ok, I will mark this question to remain open, if the problem returns here, we can then continue investigating the issue.

Is this ok?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK !

thanks, ***** ***** please let me know and please take a minute now to rate my service so far (via one of the stars and press submit)

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think that the problem linked is with a bad working of the use of the GPU as reinforcement of the CPU : the problem was on Photoshop and is resolved onder Photoshop after I've uncherked this use of the GPU in the preferences.
My question is : how is it possible to uncheck totally this use of the GPU by Windows ?

No you cannot as it uses this for Base rendering, but disabling is only hiding the underlying problem

So you are not resolving it in Photoshop you are just stopping it from using the GPU which all machines generally do not have a problem using unless there is an underlying issue

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You are right, and I wish to find the underlying issue with you ; but in the meantime I don't more loss all my graphic work running.

understood, so now we see how it functions after we did the repairs.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK !

thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello,After all this time, the same problem is back : "the user interface freezes totally : no more move of the mouse, no possible action from the keyboard ; no possibility of "ALT-CTRL-DEL". Only a reboot with the button on the PC."

ok... but as you never rated my service and left for a month, it is only because the problem returned that you are even back...

What was the reason for never rating my service? Which means I received nothing for working with you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is because I had understand that if the problem returns, it means that it was not solved. I've paid 47 dollars for this question at "justanswer" : and I had understand that if I rated your service, it means that the question was closed and that I must pay again for a following question. My intention was also to rate you as "satisfied" within a reasonable time if the problem was not returned.

The question never closes, but you indicated a wait of a week then would return, hence my question as this did not occur.

Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if it then freezes

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It doesn't freeze.
Note that many lines are automatically active again in the services of msconfig after tis reboot.

ok thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
now ? What with all these other unchecked lines in msconfig ? These are necessary all the same ?

No, they will be started when needed by the computer,.

For best performing computers it is best to run them like this

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I must now watch if the computer freezes again within the following days ...
But I'll rate you immediately if you assure me I can still contact you whithout charges if the problem is not solved.