How old is the note 5 and how long has it not been working?
Make sure you are not connected to a bluetooth or another device on your phone.
Depending on what device you have, your first option is to remove the battery from the phone
Remove the battery and let the phone sit for a minimum of 30 seconds. Place the battery back into the phone, power the device on, and test to see if the problem with the microphone has been fixed.If not, follow the steps below.
Clean the microphone holes beside the USB port gently with a thin sharp needle cleaning the debris inside the holes.
Phone icon on home screen>Keypad>Menu button>Settings>Call Settings>Additional Settings>Noise Reduction> Unchecked.
Go into settings and check volume level>Check MIC using sound recorder>Restart your phone and check.
Samsung Galaxy microphone problems could be caused by third party applications.
In order to rule this out, start your device in safe mode and test the microphone while in safe mode. This nifty trick forces all third party applications to shut down so that only the built-in apps on your phone are functioning.
Putting your device into safe-mode is a snap. Here’s how to disable any third party apps:
- Shut down the device and wait 30 seconds before turning it back on.
- Press and hold the power button on your phone until a visual appears on the screen. This visual differs from device to device, and generation to generation (but we promise you’ll know it when you see it). After it appears, release the power button.
- Once you release the power button, press and hold the volume button down. Continue to do this until the device has fully rebooted.
- At this point, the phone should be in safe mode—and the words, ‘Safe Mode’ should appear at the bottom of your screen.
- Your phone is now in safe mode; release the volume button and test the microphone.
The best way to test is by using the recorder app on your device to record a short audio clip.
After you finish recording, replay the clip. If you can hear the sound clearly, it means that the microphone is working properly outside of calls.
If you notice that you can barely hear anything, or if you hear nothing at all, you may need to do a – shudder – factory reset.
If these do not work for you, please respond and we will go from there to resolve your issue.
Please rate the 5 stars at the top of the page to close out this question as it is the only way i am
credited for the work done with clients. Or, reply to continue if further troubleshooting is necessary.