Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a h91170t computer that may have lightning damage,the

Customer Question

I have a h91170t computer that may have lightning damage,the power supply works I can hear the computer trying to do something,but the screne is black.The monitor works but the fan on the video card start I've tried different cords with no luck. how do I check the motherboard?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Hey Tim, I'm also Tim and will be assisting you. The motherboard bay have some small LEDs that are lighting up to show a problem, but the problem with a bad motherboard is, those lights may not work. The two things that blow on a power surge, or lighting strike are generally the power supply, or the motherboard. Best way to test for motherboard, is with another motherboard.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

does the harddrive start spinning? assuming its not an ssdi?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is a ssd
Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

ok, so no way to see if its running. Fans on video card are on, correct? DVD/CD drive open?

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

You can always try resetting the cmos battery (remove it and put it back in), doubt that will do anything.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

since this is a HP, you can't just run out and grab a motherboard for it as if it were a home built PC, so thats kind of rough, however, saddly the problem probably lies in the motherboard.

Expert:  Tim replied 10 months ago.

Tim, are you still with me?