Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have server 2007 and windows7 and window XP computers at

Customer Question

I have server 2007 and windows7 and window XP computers at work, I started using CrashPlan to back up files from desk tops to server through network. but I had to turn off firewall to do this because if I turn on firewall, they couldn't connected to send the data to the server for crashplan back up. would it be safe to turn off the firewalls?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

that would depend a lot on your network and what physical firewalls were between the network and the internet. If those are good than the firewalls on the work stations are not that important.

But you should be able to set those firewalls to allow the program access to the server, so that you do not have to do that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what about on the server, is it safe to turn off the firewall? we have a router and antivirus and and I heard these are good defense so firewall is not really needed. is that true?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do you set it up so it can continue to access to the server with firewall on?

you should be able to set the entire local network as safe

and/ or to set that program as safe

i would need to know what program you are using to tell you how to do it. Its usually a default unless you set it to highest security levels instead of average.

I can log in remotely to do it for you if you want to pay a little bit extra