Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

My name s. I recently had a Comcast technician at my home to

Customer Question

My name s Lisa. I recently had a Comcast technician at my home to restore my ability to send e-mail why had somehow managed to disable. While he was here he somehow got rid of excessive older e-mails and got my file down to around 1000 emails. Now need to somehow access the older e-mails because what have does to go back in time far enough to retrieve an e-mail I need from September of this year. Can you help me restore some of the older e-mails?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular Comcast product?
Customer: I have had my Apple Macbook Pro laptop computer for about 4 years now and the e-mail program has remained the same as when it was installed.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am an older person but am pretty competent at doing whatever I am instructed to do.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 9 months ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** am a computer expert since 17 years and I will be assisting you today.

Can you please let me know who your email provider is (e.g. what is the text behind the @ within your email address). Which program do you use to retrieve emails with your Mac, or is it via the web browser (like for example Safari) only?

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My e-mai provider is Comcast.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Since I do not know you, I would prefer to try to fix my issue without making a direct connection to my computer.

Thank you and yes, I understand that. We can try by text then and if we don´t get along, we can still remote connect with each other. So first off (since I can´t see it since I can´t connect to your computer as you say), I need more information from you:

How you open your emails. Which program are you using for that? Is it Outlook (just as an example) or do you open them via your web browser (Safari for example)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe that it is Outlook, but I'm not certain. I do not have to go to the web browser in order to access email. I simply click on the Mail icon at the bottom of my screen to open the application.

OK, thank you. Do you save copies of your emails in your comcast inbox or is Outlook (or whatever it is) set up in a way that it will delete the messages from the server after retrieving them?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The emails remain in the "Inbox" file and are not deleted unless I do it myself. I can have an enormous backlog of emails stacked up because receive 30 or 40 emails each day.

Great, but now they are deleted by the technician as you say, correct? So we need to check if they are still on the Comcast server. Can you check how the mail program is setup in terms of that? Is it set to delete emails after downloading them or to keep a copy on the server?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This may be a reach for me. My son set up the computer when it was new. My grown kids all act as my backups for information whenever I get stuck. I may be able to find this information for you and I may not. I'll try, but it might take a while.

OK thank you, ***** ***** can remotely connect anytime and get this solved in about 30 minutes. Just let me know and thanks again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I went back to my mail program. When I clicked on Preferences under the heading "Mail" at the top of the email program page, it gives me all kinds of settings. Best I can tell all of the messages are indeed stored on the server so they should be accessible.

Thanks. So it would now be best if you´d login to the comcast webmail site and check if all the emails are still on there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
O.K. I'll try to do that. Thanks for your help so far.

You are welcome Lisa, please let me know how it goes and if you have any requests (this involves no extra costs of course). I would also be very happy about a positive rating, if you think I did well (select 3 to 5 stars at the right upper corner of this question and click on "submit"). We can continue communicating after a rating as well of course. Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck