I forgot my windows password, It is a dell laptop. Windows

Customer Question
I forgot my windows password JA...
I forgot my windows password
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: It is a dell laptop. Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I tried to install the profile pic for my passoword and wasn't able to finish because I couldn't remember my windows password
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you mean you are not able to use your Dell Windows 10 computer at all?

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Solution #1:

- If there is an email address showing at the password ***** login screen, please try the following fix:

1. On another working computer (or on a tablet or smartphone), click on the website below:

https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

2. Then there, select the option "I forgot my password", then click on Next at the bottom.

3. Then in the first box, enter the email address as shown on the problematic Dell Windows 10 laptop.

4. Then in the second box, type in the characters as shown on the page.

5. Then click on Next at the bottom. Then follow the instructions there in order to reset your Microsoft account password

, then try it on the problematic laptop.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, please try the following fix on the problematic Dell Windows 10 laptop:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,