Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I recently bought an MX239. It worked great for a few days

Customer Question

I recently bought an MX239. It worked great for a few days but now its dark. Won't turn on. No light. Nothing.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Dell
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no. just bought both
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet

wait 5 minutes

press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds

keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you