I have a T540p and the CD drive will not show up. Windows 7.

Customer Question
I have a T540p and...
I have a T540p and the CD drive will not show up. Windows 7. When I put a disk in it can be heard spinning, but drive does not show up on my PC. Tried regedit to no avail
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
10/21/2016
Tech Support Specialist: John, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
John, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.

Just to clarify when you say you tried registry editing do you mean removing the filter entries?

Thank you.

Note: -If you are getting pop up message regarding secure remote assistance offer.You can close (x) that pop up for the time being and then use the reply box below to reply to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I followed this advice:Unable to play CD/DVD not recognized by Windows 7, 8, 10
SymptomDVD Drive is not detected at all by Windows or if it’s visible in device manager, then it’s not working.You might find a exclamation mark too in device manager for your DVD Drive in device manager. Also, if you insert in disk in DVD ROM, it’ll flash the LED lights on it for a while, but nothing would happen
Affected BrandsAll Lenovo Laptops & Desktops
Affected SystemsAll
Operating SystemsWindows 7
Windows 8 & 8.1
Windows 10
SolutionTo perform this, you need to be logged on to Windows as an administrator. Important :- Please follow the steps below carefully, as serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.Lenovo will not be held accountable for any damage to your machine.It is recommended to back up the registry so you can restore them to previous status if problem occurs. See:- How to back up and restore registryMethod 1: Command Prompt FixClick Start and type CMD in search boxRight click on CMD and click Run as administrator A black box should appear.Copy/type the following and enterreg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001Reboot the system

Thanks for clarifying it.

Are you in the problematic PC now?

Please try the following

1.Press windows key + R key that will open run box in that type devmgmt.msc and press enter that will open device manager.

2.In device manager see if there is any drives marked as unknown devices with a yellow exclamation mark on it

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

OK expand CD/DVD ROM drives and see if it shows your CD drive in it.

let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That doesn't show up in my device manager. It's not there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There isn't even an option to select CD/DVD ROM drives. Only disk drives, which I believe contains my hard disk.

OK then close it and then press windows key + R key that will open run box in that type regedit and press Enter that will open registry editor

Now expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE again expand System again expand CurrentControlSet again expand control again Class

Let me know once you are in class entry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, there

Now In the left hand window pane click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} to select that key.

In the right hand window pane select the UpperFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.click OK to confirm deletion

In the right hand window pane select the LowerFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.click OK to confirm deletion

let me know whether those keys existed or not

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no Upper Filters Reg Key
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or Lower
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did already troubleshoot this solution from the Lenovo site without success

OK then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi

once you are in atapi folder let me know and we can check the registry entry you created using command prompt still there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Including creating a registry subkey. None of it worked to bring back the drive

did you check if the registry you created still in there with the values.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is not a services folder. Only a ServiceGroupOrder & ServiceProvider.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Reg is still there. I found it. Contains a file that says Error Controll on left panel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
File names listed are Default, DisplayName, DriverPackageID, Error Control, Group,ImagePath, Start, Tag, Type

Can you take a screen shot of that and send it to me using the add files option in the reply box.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not letting me take a screenshot. working on it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
were you able to see it?

Yes i got it i was looking for a screenshot using print screen key which would have been more clear but give me a moment to see if i can see if those are the right entries

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Says file is too large

OK that is good.Let me check it.

Thank you.

The values seems to be correct but i do see an additional entry (controller0) next to Enum in atapi

Is there any entries in it?

Thank your for the screenshot

Do you have any virtual drives installed in the PC ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not that I know of

OK what about PowerDVD or Roxio and Sonic programs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually might be power DVD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that DVD maker? I've seen the power DVD software before, just not sure if on this one

Power dvd the player ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No software

In that case may I remote access to your PC and check the issue you are facing directly. It’s secure and also you can see what all I am doing in the PC. Let me know so that I can give you the link to do that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

To do remote support please click on this link http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=2defd25f-dc1f-4c67-ac41-fce6e6b5a410 that will open remote desktop session page in that page click on I Agree, then you will get Elisnore Screen Connect Client download and run it. If it asks for User Account Control click on Yes that will allow me to connect once I am connected to your PC I will post a message using the remote chat screen. If you have any trouble connecting please let me know. Do not close this Chat/Q&A page.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have downloaded and ran connect client 3 times, still not connecting

Does it show launching and ask you permission to make changes ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree to everything. Even try to run again from my downloads folder

That is strange.

Here is the tool for remote session it’s called Team Viewer, to download it click on this link

http://tinyurl.com/dygcqt6 download and open it. Let me know the id and password it shows. Do not close the Team-Viewer window or this chat page.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows is not recognizing what program to open team viewer with

I believe some of the windows files are corrupted which is also causing the drive issue but lets see if you can download the full version of Team-viewer and install it using this link : - https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

Actually the tinyurl link i gave is incorrect one that is why it didn't recognize it.I apologize for the mistake

Try the second link i gave and let me know the id and password *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, ID is 953 985 259, Password *****

Somehow that is not working shows connection error.

One last time please try this new remote support tool called ultra viewer : - http://ultraviewer.net/en/

its same a team-viewer let me know the id and password.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you able to connect?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry [password ***** *****

Its not the password ***** an issue with team-viewer so please try the other remote support tool i gave ultra viewer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ID- 791 395
Pass - 7343

Connected and checking the issue.

It seems i got disconnected. open again and see if the id and password ***** same

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, yes same
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. How will we reconnect?

I had bookmarked the page use that to get back to me and let me know.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I rebooted, still no drive showing up. Put in disc, can hear it running but doesn't show up

have you tried system restore after this problem started ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
once before six months ago or so, reset to previous version of windows, not system restore, & problem was solved for a few weeks then disappeared again but didn't come back this time when I tried

Please click start>>>all programs>>>Accessories>>>Right click on command prompt and click on run as administrator that will open command prompt window (Black window) in that type sfc /scannow (there is a space between sfc and /scannow there is no space between / and scannow) Then press Enter. That will check the operating system file integrity

After the scan restart the PC and check once again.if that also didn't work then backing up the data and re-installing windows seems to be the only option left

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I reinstall windows without a disk?

If this PC came with windows 7 then there is a recovery partition to do that but we will go to that after this file integrity check is done.

Let me know the serial number of the PC

Did the scan start,if so what is the progress now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Says corrupt files found and successfully repaired. I'll reboot. Serial is MJ01SYQH

OK let me know after the reboot

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rebooted, Drive still not present

OK there is a DVD firmware available lets see if it can updated.Please download it using this link : - http://support.lenovo.com/in/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T540p/20BF/S38A00/downloads/DS035586

Click on the symbol below download now.its a zip file so after the download is done unzip and run the "FWWINOD" file in it.

After the update restart again and check it.Let me know

In that case only choice left is to back up the data you needed then restore to factory settings (reinstall windows 7)

May i give you the instructions to do it.You do not need to do it now because its important that you back up the data first then only do the process other wise if you have any data it will be erased during the process.

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its ok, i have nothing on this pc that is not already backed up. How do I do it?

Please give me a moment to prepare the instructions.

You can start this process in 2 ways one from windows and other is from system start up.Before you start the process disconnect any external usb drives connected to the laptop.

From windows

1.From the Windows desktop,click Start >> All Programs >> Lenovo PC Experience >> Lenovo Tools >>
Enhanced Backup and Restore. The Rescue and Recovery program opens.
2. In the Rescue and Recovery program main window, click the Launch advanced Rescue and Recovery.
3. Click the Restore your system from a backup icon.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen and then select restore to factory setting

To start the Rescue and Recovery workspace, do the following:
1. Make sure that the computer is turned off.
2. Repeatedly press the F11 key when turning on the computer until you see the Lenovo logo screen. that will open rescue and recovery wizard follow the on-screen instructions and select
restore to factory setting

This process will take some time (around 25 to 45 min) so make sure the laptop is connected to power adapter.

That will do it.
Is there anything else you like to know ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thanks. I hope it works.

That has to fix unless the drive is faulty but in your case the windows 10 upgrade started the issue so this has to work.

If you do not have any further questions please rate me positively using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,

Checking to see whether you were manged to restore to factory settings also did that solve the CD/DVD drive issue?

Please let me know the status.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It worked for a minute, and the dvd drive showed up. Then when i went to use it, the pc froze up, causing me to have to log off by hard shutdown with power off. Then on restart drive was gone again!

That is strange.

Did you check immediately after completing factory restore or after you installed any applications including anti-virus or drivers?

John, Computer Support Specialist