IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

My computer is crashing daily, giving me the blue screen of

My computer is crashing daily, giving me the blue screen of death "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" "Stop Code: DPC Watchdog Violation" The problem seems to lie with the notskrnl.exe. driver. I've had an on-line computer repair service working on it, but they're not having any success. I'm about to ask them for my money back. Is this something you this you could attempt to resolve?

Hey Dave, I'm Tim. The only thing I can do, and I am a Sr engineer is try and see if its a hardware or software problem, if its software, reinstalling the OS is whats needed. Let me know if you want to talk further about it. From what you said, that is truthfully, where you are at.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Where do I begin to reinstall the OS? It's Windows 10.

When, or how?

I offered you a call, the cheapest im allowed to do so we can talk about that.

ok, i'll open this up to other experts.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you.
Please tell me if you still require assistance with the Windows 10 computer issue?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I do.

OK. Please tell me if your computer has Windows 10 installed, or another Windows version?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Windows 10.

Since your computer is crashing, you can re-install Windows 10. There is an option within Windows 10 to automatically re-install (refresh) Windows. You can choose to preserve the personal files, or to delete everything and re-install Windows 10.

Would you like to try with it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

My personal files are stored in a cloud. I's prefer to do a s little as possible. So the automatic re-install (refresh) seems like the best option.

OK. Let me know if your Windows 10 boots to a point that it shows you the logon screen (where you need to select your user account and type a password)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

That's where it boots to.

Good. If the logon screen is accessible, you can do a refresh very quickly. I will now provide the instructions for you. Hold on...

Here are the instructions:

1. First, let the computer boot to the Windows 10 logon screen

2. Once you see the logon screen, do not select your user name or type anything, but look in the bottom right corner of the logon screen. You should see 3 icons. If you don't see any icons, then just click anywhere on the background picture and then check again

3. Click on the power icon and then press and hold down the Shift key, and while still holding, click on Restart

4. Continue to hold down the Shift key until you see the Choose an option screen

5. On that screen, click on Troubleshoot

6. On the next screen, click on Reset this PC

7. On the next screen, click on either Keep my files or Remove everything

8. The computer will restart. Follow the instructions to proceed with the reset. It usually takes between 30-60 minutes to finish

In case you encounter problems, let me know.

Regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I got "There was a problem resetting your PC. No action was taken."

You can try again with a different option. For example, if you chose "Remove everything", you can now try with "Keep my files".

In case it fails again, you will need to use a Windows 10 installation media (bootable disk or USB flash drive).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I downloaded the upgrade to Win 10 from Win 8 so I don't have any disk or drive. If chose to remove my files, does that remove all of my apps as well. Isn't there some was to just disable ntoskrnl.exe?

Both options will re-install Windows 10 while removing all the installed programs (apps). You can only choose to keep the files or remove them as well.

ntoskrnl.exe is a kernel application for Windows and cannot be disabled or fixed. If you see it in the blue screen logs, it means the blue screen can be caused by both software and hardware issue. In other words, you cannot know what exactly caused the blue screens.

In case both the "Remove everything" and "Keep my files" options fail, you will need to use a Windows 10 installation media to re-install Windows 10. If you don't have it, there is a way to create it for free, but you will need to use another working computer with Internet access.

Hello again!

Several days have passed since we last communicated, and you haven't replied to my last message, so I am wondering if you still require assistance with the issue.

Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I'm receiving your messages. Unfortunately, I don't have Windows 10 media or another computer.

Hello again!

In order to fully re-install Windows 10, you will need to use a Windows 10 installation media. You can choose between a bootable DVD or bootable USB drive. There is a way to create either one for free, but you will need to use another working computer with Internet access. If you don't have one, please ask your friend or a family member to help you create a Windows 10 installation media.

Here are the instructions:

1. Use any working computer with Internet access, and open a web browser and go to this web address:

http://tinyurl.com/Win10disc

2. There click on the Download tool now button. It will then prompt you to download a file named MediaCreationTool. It is used to download the Windows 10 image file required for creating an installation media

3. Run the downloaded tool and select the Create installation media for another PC option and click Next. Un-check the check-box at the bottom and select the same Windows 10 version that is installed on your computer or the one you want to re-install, and click Next. "Windows 10" refers to the Windows 10 Home edition, and "Windows 10 Pro" refers to the Windows 10 Professional edition

4. You will then be able to choose between creating a bootable DVD (ISO file) or a bootable USB flash drive. Select the desired option and continue with the instructions

Once you have a Windows 10 installation media, use it on your computer to re-install Windows 10.

For further assistance, let me know.

Regards,

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Regards,

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional