Cory
Cory, Computer Technician
Experience:  Computer Repair Technician 5+ Years
8685120

I thinks that I have been scammed by the pop-up virus

Customer Question

I thinks that I have been scammed by the pop-up virus window. I called the support number as I could not leave the pop-up warning page. I spoke with Phil who claimed to be a Microsoft Support Tech. phone number was(###) ###-#### He said that I had two viruses Zeus and Koobface and that these would erase my hard drive if it was not cleaned immediately. He gave me a security key so he could take over my computer and when I entered it, it appeared to take me to the Microsoft web - complete with your logo. He spent over 3 hours fixing the issue (I think) and sold me a network security and Network firewall package payable to Warrior Communication. I paid via Visa and fortunately Visa declined payment. I have since cancelled the Visa Card.
I do not know if my computer is currently at risk or if he has downloaded anything to steal my identity. Nothing is weird so far but I am concerned that he my have downloaded a virus or worm of some sort. I did watch every thing that he did eg., he downloaded a free malware app.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cory replied 9 months ago.

Welcome, I am Cory. Thank you for asking your question today.

You are right this is a scam.

If they charged anything to the card, please make sure you dispute the charges.

You can file a complaint here https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx about the company to be investigated.

Because you let them access, the computer, you should download Malwarebytes. It is a free virus/malware remover downloaded by over 300 million people.

You can download it here. - https://www.malwarebytes.com/ and click on Free Download.

Once you run, install and scan the computer, it should be secure again.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Please do not forget to rate my answer above with the star rating system.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK what will I be charged for this info today? Is there any worry that they may have stolen any info?
Expert:  Cory replied 9 months ago.

Gerry,

You will be charged the amount you placed on the deposit for the question when you asked it. You maybe in a subscription which will add other costs of what I do not have the info for.

If you did not let them access any accounts, then you should not have any problems as far as that goes.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
$5.00 for today. I will download MalWare. thanks for the advice.
Expert:  Cory replied 9 months ago.

I am almost sure it is not only $5, but I don't know the exact cost.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I paid $5.00 on visa as a deposit, with a potential $80.00 depending on extent of resolution.
Expert:  Cory replied 9 months ago.

Please look at the card charges to know totals.

Please do not forget to use the star rating system to give me credit for assisting you today.