My other laptop is locked and a message appears stating

Customer Question
Hello, my other laptop is...
Hello, my other laptop is locked and a message appears stating "This site says ... **Windows Security Warning** my computer is completely locked. I don't believe this is a legimate report. it also gives a phone number of(###) ###-####to call for a scan. I don't believe Microsoft operates that way. Help please
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need a response as soon as possible - not a day.
9/26/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hi, and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

Your Edge browser has been hijacked by a rogue webpage that's showing up each time you open up the browser, and it's not possible to get rid of this webpage by simply closing and re-opening the browser. To resolve this issue, please do this now:

First, close out the Edge browser if open.

Next, type in any website address, e.g. www.google.com using the search bar/button at the bottom of your screen (at the taskbar) and press ENTER.

This will open up that website using Edge and from there, you simply need to hover your cursor over the other tab with the hijacked webpage and click "X" to close it out accordingly.

Done that, close and re-open Edge normally; the rogue webpage will not show up from now on.

Do keep me posted on the results. If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on (and submit) one of the five stars at the top of this page - this is the only way that I'll be credited for assisting you today. Thank you.

PS: Please do NOT accept any remote assistance offer if it shows up on this page at any time; it's sent out automatically by our site, and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session for your issue; I'll reply back to you below now.

Basically, you just have to close out the Edge browser using the Task Manager first, and then use the search box/button at the bottom taskbar to search for www.google.com and press ENTER. This will open up the Google website on a new tab in Edge, and from there, move your cursor to the other offending tab (with the rogue webpage) and click "X" to close it out - do not actually open up that tab, otherwise it will bring up the rogue webpage again. Done that, close and re-open Edge, and you should be good to go.

Do keep me posted; I'll be here. Thank you.

Bryan, Computer Support Specialist