Windows did an upgrade on my computer last night, when it

Customer Question
Hi windows did an upgrade...
Hi windows did an upgrade on my computer last night, when it restarted and I went to put my passcode in it would not accept it nor would it accept my Microsoft password. How do I fix this? I need my laptop asap.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
9/26/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 1 year ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please Samantha, which version of windows are you using?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think it's xp.

ok, we need to be sure, how exactly does the sign in screen look?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has a head in a circle with a box under it and passcode.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry its actually windows 10

ok, no problem.,

Above the password ***** is a username thats either your name or an email address.

Tell me what it is please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's neither it's a passcode four numbers.

thats the request for the password, but what is exactly above the password *****?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ohhh. I see it's my name

no email address?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No.

ok, this means you cannot reset the password ***** as your using a local account.

The only way now to reset this is to wipe the computer and reinstall windows. This is going to remove all your data and return the computer to new, there is nothing you can do to avoid this sorry, it is the whole reason for the security and being a local account it cannot be reset.

To do the reset, on the sign in screen, then hold the LEFT shift key and with it held down, click on the power icon and click restart.

Keep shift held down until it has restarted and your at a menu.

choose Troubleshoot, then reset my PC

You have to choose to wipe all your files, let this complete and the computer is reset as new and you can set it all up again

Let me know please how you go.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K wait it just let me context to wifi! And now the circle is doing something on my computer can I do something with that

ok.. let me know what happens when it finishes please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried putting in my email, but it wants Microsoft
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it won't take that one either. I'm going to loose my mind

yes, its a local account it is why you need to do the reinstall.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Problem is I purchased my windows and everything online. So how do I then go and redue this.

yes thats ok, you just need to follow the instructions I gave you.

I repeated them again below

choose Troubleshoot, then reset my PC

Let me know please how you go.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The menu only comes up trouble shoot, when I hit trouble shoot and reset it goes to uefi firmware settings or start up settings( change your windows startup behaviour)

you will see the option there, can you repeat it and carefully look through the options and you will see reset my pc.

I can also call you and step you through this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no reset on this.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The reset is under troubeshoot but it doesn't go into it

you will see it, it is on all windows 10 computers.

You start up with SHIFT + F8

then you choose Troubleshoot and there you will see reset my pc

Does it say Reset or Reset My PC?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says it. But it's under trouble shoot but it doesn't let me log into it

what exactly happens when you try to select it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It gives me a list of restart, enable low resolutions enable bootlogging but I can't click on any of them.

whats the make and model of the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's an hp touch screen

ok, power off the computer, power it on and keep tapping F11 until you get to a menu.

Tell me when you are there and which options you have please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay it says press wax to continue?

ok, do this please and tell me what options you get.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Took me back to the same thing.

You cannot choose Reset My PC?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope. Apparently not

What exact options are you now getting though?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wth? Why won't it click over to it.

It points to another issue on the computer

Can you connect a different mouse and try please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for trying, but I'm going to have to take it in to staples.

ok, the fact you cannot click any of the options is pointing to a hardware issue and can explain why the password ***** not accepted.

At staples they can use a special USB stick to reinstall windows instead which will confirm if it is a hardware issue and bypasses this menu (but you need the USB stick for this)

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Computer Specialist