John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

My kapersky anti virus indicated a software was downloaded

Customer Question

my kapersky anti virus indicated a software was downloaded on my computer and that it should be removed- update v8 (1),msi As I think this may have been part of a windows update, I wanted to check before I have the antivirus delete it. Any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. Please give me a moment while I review your question.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Kaspersky usually wont remove any windows update but just to be safe could you please provide the full details of this threat removal message?

Sincerely,

Note: - Please reply using the box below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the box reads: disinfection: Select method of processing detected legal software that can be used by criminals for damaging your computer or personal data
Detected: not-a-virus:HEUR:AdWare.Win64.Agent.genthen it indicates the location on my computerMy options are delete(recommended)
Ignore
Add to exclusions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just don't want to delete something that is necessary and was part of a windows update. If simply adware/malware, then I will delete
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

OK please give me a moment to check that details you provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible for you to take a screenshot of the full threat removal message and send it to me using the add files option in the reply box.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

To do that open that please open the full threat removal message and then press PrtScn key on the keyboard then open paint program and paste it then save it as a jpeg file in the desktop and then use the add files option in the reply box in this page and browse the image in the desktop and send it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message box won't allow me to take a screen shot or copy
I will type it exactly as it appears:
Kaspersky PURE 3.0
Disinfection
Select method of processing detected legal software that can be used by criminals for dmamging your computer or personal dataDetected:
not-a-virus:HEUR:AdWare.Win64.Agent.genLocation:
c\documents and settings\owner...\updatev8(1).msithen I have the options of deleting, ignoring or adding to exclusions
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

OK that is not the location if windows update folder,it will be C:\windows ... also the name of windows update isn't that way it will be either windows update or security update or KB19....

so you can delete it and if it asks for restart please do and i will wait for you reply.

Please bookmark this page, use that bookmark to open this page, In case that doesn't work. Then you can get back to this page using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer option in the email click on that and you can open this page. You can also use the welcome email from justanswer to open this page too there is a check my answer option in it to open this page. That email also has you justanswer user name and password ***** login.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

If you have another PC you can open this chat page in that PC using the email from justanswer and continue chat with me while you are deleting and restarting the PC.

Please let me know the result.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Did you delete the adware threat and restart the PC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi John- i was interrupted with a client call and am going to be ties up for a bit. I will have my antivirus delete.and follow up on this later.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Please rate me using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, the kaspersky deleted it as it did its routine scan so I did not have to take any action.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Then its all good,if you have any more doubt you can restart the PC and make sure all is fine.