Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I see yahoo account activity in new york - from chrome - i

Customer Question

i see yahoo account activity in new york - from chrome - i am logged in on explorer in new jersey - i changed my passwod 5 minutes ago and i saw it after then
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Yahoo account?
Customer: i came to the library to see activity - i see my current session - then i changed password ***** then 5 minutes after i see activiy in new york
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: i am not even on my own computer - i am logged in on a library computer
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 year ago.

Good morning.

What exactly is "account activity in New York"? An e-mail from New York? Yahoo Mail doesn't reveal the source of activity, merely messages that could have been sent from anywhere on the globe despite their apparent origin.

Are your clocks synchronized? Are you sure your system clock is 100% correct? Check with the U. S. Naval Observatory time base at(###) ###-####

Not to be demeaning, but logging in on a library computer, did you actually type your own user account and password, or did you just inherit the last guy's settings? 100 people a day access their e-mail on a library's PC, and very few ever clear the browser history.

Also, AND VERY CRITICALLY, if you have ever logged in on a library computer and NOT cleared the browser history COMPLETELY, AFTER accessing your e-mail, the next person could EASILY have come along and hacked your account.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you go to personal settings there is an option to view recent activity - i am on explorer at my library in sparta nj....it shows that - it also shows new york new york chrome android listed as recent activity - yet i changed my password ***** minutes ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have been sat here all along - if anyone accessed it here i would see..it is showing activity in new york and i am in new jersey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i went to yahoo.com and it was a clear page - i typed in my own email and password ***** went to change my password ***** then saw activiy in another state

If you have successfully logged into your account, change the password ***** and then clear the browser history COMPLETELY.

Did you say you were using Internet Explorer? Click the icon at upper right that looks like a little gear wheel with teeth. Choose Internet Options. Choose the General tab on the next popup menu. Look for Browsing History and choose Delete. Delete the history IMMEDIATELY, then EXIT THE BROWSER.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you - what will that do

Don't worry about someone else changing your password ***** top of you. Only one login to Yahoo Mail is permitted to any one account at any time.

What will that do? It will prevent the next person behind you from logging on with your credentials without having to know them. The Internet Explorer browser is so "helpful" that it REMEMBERS YOUR CREDENTIALS without notifying you. Isn't that convenient and secure? Do it NOW rather than saying, "Yeah, I'll remember to do that later after I get my work done." PLEASE DO IT IMMEDIATELY. Thank you.