I have an Acer Aspire Z5610 and I no longer see the wi fi

Customer Question
Hello. I have an Acer...
Hello. I have an Acer Aspire Z5610 and I no longer see the wi fi icon at the bottom right I just see the wired icon. I want to connect to wi fi where I live. Can you help?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Acer Aspire Z5610
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: It updates itself automatically. I had it plugged on a wired network but I have moved today and I want it to connect to the wi fi here instead
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it for now Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
9/11/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

In order to help you, I need to know what operating system you have on your device. Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8.1, 10,?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows 7
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cannot connect remotely because I am using another computer (a laptop with Windows 10) to ask the question!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Remember I cannot connect to the internet at all at the moment with the Acer hence my question here

Please ignore that. It is automated from our system. Not a request i sent.

Try this for me:

Please RIGHT click the "wireless" icon on the lower right corner of your screen (next to the battery icon and before the speaker icon and select "Open Network and Sharing Center"

Then click "Change adapter settings" on the left

Do you see a green "signal bar" under "Wireless network connection" ?

You want to enable the wifi if it says disabled.

Let me know if that or hitting your F3 turns on the wifi to be seen?

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After I click "Change adapter settings" a box opens and I have only 32 icons there: Bluetoth Network connection, Local Area Connection and Local area connection 2. It does not say wi fi anywhere
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try hitting F3

Thank you:

You should be seeing 'this':

Right click "Wireless Network Connection" and select Disable

Right click "Wireless Network Connection" and select Enable

Then when you click the icon on the bottom again, it should give you a list of available networks

to connect to.

could you get this far?

~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hit F3. I stil cannot see the wi fi. I reinstalled the whole factory software last week. I saw trhe wi fi icon but not for long

Thank you.

could you use this method to see what i was referring to?

Thank you:

You should be seeing 'this':

to connect to.

could you get this far?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not see "Wireless Network Connection in the menu
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only see 2 icons in the box "Network connections": 1. Bluetooth Network Connection, 2. Local Area Connection - Realtek, 3. Local Area Connection 2 - Enabled - Blackberry Virtual Private Network
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see 3 icons sorry, not 2

lets try this way.

Please press the windows key on your keyboard, hold it down, and press R

( the windows key is two keys to the left of your space bar )

Onscreen should be a box that says Open / Run . In that box type in,

ncpa.cpl and then hit enter...

What 'exactly' do you see there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you stil here?

Yes, did you see this reply?

lets try this way.

ncpa.cpl and then hit enter...

What 'exactly' do you see there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I do this the box "Network Connections" appears again but with the same 3 items as previously
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any other suggestion?

One moment, i am looking at your model.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

One the front of your computer, there is a button, not the top, but the front. It is a switch for wireless.

Can you tell me if you have it switched to enable?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry but where is this button?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see any button in front

sorry, that is the acer 5610 model you said you have

is yours different?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is an Acer Aspire Z5610 !!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is an all in one flat screen computer touch screen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is NOT a laptop

devmgmt.msc and then hit enter...

click the 'networking' icon and let it drop down menu on the screen

then tell me EXACTLY what is listed there please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no Networking icon. I see a "Network adapters" icon. The drop down menu has the following items: 1. Blackberry virtual private network; 2. Bluetooth device (personal area network); 3. Bluetooth device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI); 4. Realtek PCI GBE Family controller)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry 4. was: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Thank you.

You have 2 choices here. Download this link i sent you from your laptop on a usb and put it in the other

desktop to upload,

You need the LAN driver.

You can also try to put the ethernet cord into the desktop to get to see if you can get connection; then click, download, unzip and run this link:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Realtek_2006.0.0819.2009_W7x64_A.zip?acerid=633910166607528069&Step1=ALL-IN-ONE&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20Z5610&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6#_ga=1.214367954.4134562.1472763980

I recommend trying your eithernet cord to your desktop. If it can pick up internet, this is fastest/easiest.

~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers/-;94700290769My computer is at that link
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a chord. And I cannot plug it onto the router anyway. It is too far away
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will transfer the file you have sent onto a memory stick and I wil then plug this stick onto the Z5610 and see what happens
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will see if this works and I will get back to you

Yes, that is the only way without ethernet cord.

This is the correct driver. it is missing LAN to be able to get internet on your desktop.

Keep in mind, DONT INSTALL it on your laptop. Just download and copy it to usb.

Once you put it in the desktop, go to that drive, open the file, download, unzip and run. It will put the correct

driver in the desktop.

Dont worry if you run into issues, i will help guide you with the usb when it is made if you need.

Please update when ready or if you were able to do this on your own and successful.

~Franklin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says "Sorry we do not support this operating system" (WIndows 7) !!

You are on 10. You cannot install. Only download it for the usb.

When you click the link, it should ask you to save. that is ALL you are doing on this pc with the contents of that link.

Put your usb in, and copy it from downloads

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I tried to install it on my Z5610 which has Windows 7 and it says "Wrong operating system" !
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it says "Sorry we do not support this operating system" (Windows 7)

Right click the set up file and run as admin.

See if that works to run it. It is windows 7 network adapter driver.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not see the item "run as admin" in the menu when I right click. Also there are 3 files called "setup". one that says "application", one that says "icon" and one that says "configuration settings". Which one do I click or right click?

right click set up application

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does not give me the option to open as administrator

click on your windows key icon on the bottom left. hover over computer and right click, then click properties for me.

Does this say 32 or 64 bit?

Try copying the entire folder from your flash drive onto your desktop. Then, once its fully copied, remove flash drive,

open folder from desktop and double click set up file. It may not want to 'access' it from the usb method.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know it is a 64 bits but I wil check

Then that is the correct version. There is only one lan for your model and it is the 64.

Copy the folder method and run from there for me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it says 64 bits operating system
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I will try again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same problem. "We do not support this operating system". This is getting frustrating...

I understand. I will open this up for another expert to look at and give you suggestions from there.

There is something going on with your settings when you restored.

Tech Support Specialist: Byron, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist

Hi. My name is***** you for your question. Is there any reason the Blackberry VPN adapter is installed on the

computer in Device Manager? That can interfere with network connectivity.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No reason. I did not install this. It may installed automatically when I installed the Blaxckberry Blend and Link programme to connect my new Blackberry mobile phone 10 OS on my computer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have just uninstalled the whole Blackberry Blend and Link software now to see if it makes a difference

Restart the machine. What needs to happen is for your wi-fi adapter to show up in Device Manager.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know this. Which is why I have called you! I cannot see the wi fi icon. I will restart again

Click the start button and in the search area type: device manager and open the result at the top.

Expand Network Adapters. If you see the Blackberry vpn adapter, right-click on it and uninstall it.

If there's an option to remove the driver software, put a checkmark in the box and uninstall it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I no longer see "Blackberry vpn adapter" in the drop down menu in device manager but I still cannot see the wi fi icon
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a different keyboard

I'm typing some more instructions. I'll need a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I have found the original keyboard and mouse for the Acer Z5610. I have just plugged them

Restart again after plugging them in if you get no response from the wi-fi button.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The 3rd button has an icon in the shape of the Earth with a halo. It opens a brower but not the wi fi

Open Device Manager again. At the top of the list you'll see your computer name.

Right-click on it and select Add Legacy Hardware.

When the wizard opens click Next

select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list and click Next.

From the list select Network Adapters and click Next.

In the list, hopefully, you'll have an entry for Realtek on the left.

Select it and check if it shows a wi-fi adapter in the right-hand window.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wait. I am restarting the computer

Ok, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the left in "Select Network Adapter" I only see 3 items, Intel, Intel corporation and Microsoft
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But when I select Intel Corporation I see in the right column the items: "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, then the same but with 3945BG, then again but with 3965ABG, and other items in the list sayinf wi fi, and wireless. Is this the right one?

I don't believe that machine come with an Intel wi-fi chipset or you'd see the drive on the Acer site. I'll do some checking

but in the meantime, copy that driver zip file to the desktop.

Right-click on it and select Extract All and extract everything to the new folder it creates.

Right-click on the setup.exe file. You'll have the option to Run as Administrator from the extracted folder.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry what zip file?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your colleague previously sent me the driver for Realtek, I tried to install it several times but it kept saying I had the wrong operating system. Yet he did say it was for Windows 7

Download the Realtek wireless LAN driver from here: http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers/-;94700290769

Put it on a flash drive, plug the flash drive into the z5610 and copy the zip file to the desktop and do the Extract All

Then run the setup.exe file as administrator.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried this 3 times already with your colleague. It keeps saying I have the wrong operating system, but I do! I will have to give up now and tried to reinstall the whole computer at factory setting. Sorry.
Byron
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist