Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years ExperienceCCNA Network EngineerA+ Net+ Linux & Windows OSC++ Programming
74139101

I am getting a fatal system error when my laptop tries to

Customer Question

I am getting a fatal system error when my laptop tries to open. The message references a status 0xc000003a (0x0"0000000 0x00000000). Can you help me get my computer up and running?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Hi Mark

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Shut the computer off (press and hold the power button for 6 seconds) then wait 2 seconds and power it back on.

As soon as you hit the power button to turn it back on, press the F8 key repeatedly (over and over) until you see a screen with options.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Screen reads....Windows failed to start......offers the options to start normally or launch a a repair start up. That screen has now given way to a start up repair box with a timer and attempting repairs message
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Press down arrow key

Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Has this window come up before for you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This process has come up repeatedly. Have tried pressing g down arrow key and nothing happens.
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Try turning it off the way I mentioned before, by holding the power button for a full 6 seconds (make it 10 just in case)

Then as soon as you turn it back on press the F8 key repeatedly.

You should get a screen with boot options

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay launch stArt up repair or start normally. And it now has automatically gone to the start up repair box
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anyway to do this over the phone?
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Doesn't seem to be correct - how and when are you pressing the F8 key?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As the laptop is starting and repeatedly ...I do quickly get a reboot screen but o my for a couple seconds.
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Are you powering it off by pressing the power button for 10 seconds?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

And just to verify, as soon as you power it back on you're pressing the F8 key (at the top where all the F keys are)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay Martin, I now have a Phoenix trustees setup utility page showing with main , advanced , security, boot, and exit tabs at the top of the page.
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

That should only come up if you pressed either F1, F2 or DEL

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Trustedcore not trustees...sotry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay then...what to do?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Computer is now off by holding power button down foe 10 seconds.
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

How did you get the Phoenix screen (BIOS) to come up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got the f10 reboot / f2 bios screen to come up and hit f2 (gateway laptop btw)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The laptop is currently off.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still there?
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Yes, instead of pressing F2 try pressing F8 over and over real quick

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay starting device and pressing f8 repeatedly....
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is what happens....I get a gateway page with the f2 bios f10 reboot option. This page automatically gives way to a Windows start up error, that then goes to a screen with a launch Windows normally or relaunch startup option. The relaunch startup option is highlighted with a 30 second to timer. By the The time we communicate again the time.Dr has expired and the page goes to a startup repair box with an attempting repairs message. After some time this becomes a fatal error message in blue background.
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

The timer can be halted by pressing the up or down arrow key

This is the screen we're looking for:

http://support.eset.com/kb2268/?locale=en_US

Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

If you cannot get to it you will need a Vista installation or Vista repair disc.

Which if you don't have, I would strongly recommend getting Windows 7 if you're going to be spending money

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I get there through the F10 boot menu?
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Should be able to do it with F8 directly - give F10 a try and then spam the F8 key

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay....for whatever reason, this last it went through the startup repair box, it alllowed (prompted) me to press the finish prompt it seems to be attempting to restart. I will let this process to play out and see what happens. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Martin replied 11 months ago.

Let me know what happens.

And if you could take a moment to click on one of the green stars at the top to rate me for my time, it would be greatly appreciated!

Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.

Regards,