I have a simple tech 250 gig, USB external drive,

Customer Question
08135040250208300 is the number on...
I have a simple tech 250 gig, USB external drive, 08135040250208300 is the number on the white sticker barcode. I have replaced both the power cable and USB cable. I cannot get my PC nor my wife's PC, both Windows Vista to recognize the drive. I am disabled and use a scooter and am afraid that I accidentally at one time or another jammed both cables with the floorboard of my scooter (stored on a stand at that level, unfortunately). My guess is that the rectangular connector in the drive at the disc end of the USB cable has been damaged, if not the disc itself. I live in the Dallas area. I can take it to a computer repair center and get them to look at a for 39 bucks. how would you suggest I proceed. it contains lots of iTunes music that I do not want to lose. Thank you for your time. Rob Richardson(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
8/29/2016
Tech Support Specialist: technicalcat, Consultant replied 1 year ago
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant

Hello Rob, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Do you have a MODEL number for this drive? It looks like you sent a serial number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
96300-41001-011

Thank You. If you'd like, I can send you instructions on how you could remove the hard drive from the enclosure, and either adapt it to another computer, or connect directly to a desktop computer. Would you like this information? Note that it will require some disassembly of the drive, and other steps.

OK. Let me get together specifics on your model and I will send over instructions and information within about the next 15 minutes for you. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you email them to me? thx

To give you better instructions, could you reply with a picture of your drive. Measurements of the overall size would also be helpful. Thanks.

Thank You.

I'm not aware of an instructional video for the exact simpletech drive you have. However, they are put together in similar ways, and I have linked a video on how to disassemble a similar model below.

The goal is to carefully removed the actual hard drive from the enclosure, so that you have the bare hard drive to connect to an external dock, or directly to a desktop computer.I believe you have a desktop size drive inside that enclosure, so I've linked an example picture of that below. If it happens to be a smaller notebook size drive, then it will look the same, but only smaller.

Once you remove the drive, you can use a USB docking station connected to any computer in order to access it. I've also put a link below to such a docking station you can purchase.

Removing the drive, and using a dock, should allow you to access this drive again, provided it is not damaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1ksPz8k84

http://dildiva.com/bitn/_img4/4.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Sata-HDD-Docking-Station/dp/B0012Z3MKW

IMPORTANT

Please remember to rate my time and help to you before you go. I continue to help before and after rating, and strive for excellent service. A positive rating is the only way I receive any credit for helping you today. Bonuses are are a great way of saying thanks, ***** ***** much appreciated. Thank You.

technicalcat
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant