Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My roommate died and I am cleaning up his stuff. He has a

Customer Question

My roommate died and I am cleaning up his stuff. He has a simpletech 500GB back up hard drive ..it is pre 2010 .. I want to erase his stuff on it and give it to my niece who needs more space on her computer.. how can I do that?
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lorae. I'd be happy to help you with this. You'll need to connect it to a computer with a cable that plugs into the backup hard drive and then into a usb port on the computer. There is likely also a power cord that connects from the hard drive to the electrical outlet. Do you have the cables that you need? If so, please connect it to your computer. I can walk you through formatting it and cleaning it off but I will need to know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

Or, if you'd like, once you have the hard drive connected to your computer I would be happy to connect at no extra charge, and clean it off for you remotely while you watch. You will see offers for additional service but you can ignore those. they are automated. I am happy to do it for you at no extra charge. Just let me know your preferences.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have windows 10 .... if you can do it remotely great. I wrote that I found a a free trial of stellar file wipe but after installing it all I saw was my C & D drives not the simple tech one that I want to erase.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just updated my payment info It is all correct when will I get assistance??????????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your site is taking too long ...what is the problem on your end?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry Louise, it seems that someone else accepted your Secure Remote Assistance request before I could. I can see though that they haven't contacted you, so I will be happy to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This site gets -10 black holes ............ sucker you in to get your payment then nothing happens
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Let's get started with the remote session. Please open up the following link:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=fe06f1c1-0679-42f1-8d37-8678579c1914

On the page that opens up, click "I Agree."

Download the remote file when prompted, and then OPEN/RUN the "Elsinore Screen Connect" file downloaded (at the very bottom of your browser window, usually in the left corner.)

I'll then be connected.

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the unclaimed offer doesn;'t work either
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is LORAE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I get remote assistance from YOU
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I am terribly sorry. I saw that you were unhappy with having to wait and typed so fast that I typed the name of the client that I was previously helping. You can get help from me by clicking on the link that I provided and following those instructions to get us connected.

I am not compensated for my time at all if I you do not rate me positively, so you can be assured that I will do everything that I can to help. I will make sure that you are not charged for the Secure Remote Assistance but I will connect to your computer and assist you anyway if you would still like my help.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I'll then be connected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are we connected yet ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i closed some tabs and can;t find the one with the download
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see a screen connect but can't type on it
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

No, not yet. I'm waiting for you. No problem. Just click this link again.

I'll then be connected.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

What does the screen that you see look like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see a red box and just sent 2 messages
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Does the box say Screen Connect at the top?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why am I getting this payment error ..I just updated my payment info AGAIN! checked all the info
to make sure it was correct and submitted then this crazy Payment error. Looks like we don’t have your latest credit card information. Please update it so we can connect you with the Expert momentarily. WTF !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
f**k this lame ass site that has internal problems..its probably stealing my credit card info ..will be deleting my account immediately!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Please don't worry about the payment error. Often, it occurs because when your credit card company sees a second payment to the same company they question it. It is usually easily resolved with a phone call to the credit card company. I am doing my best to connect with you without charge.

There is no need to be nasty to me. I am trying to help you. Do you want to continue or not? If you do, I ask that you please be considerate and polite to me, as I am being to you.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

If you wish to continue, please close your open window (the red box where you typed comments) and let's try a brand new link.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=c74b9f9b-cfbc-42da-b27a-7fc248fb5657