Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Inspiron 3043 - 20 inch all in one. I had to repair a bios

Customer Question

Inspiron 3043 - 20 inch all in one. I had to repair a bios issue then do a windows 10 reset. doesn't want to connect to the internet - gateway problem. I think it is a driver issue.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I did a windows reset
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: under device manager I do not see Ethernet nic
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I will see what I can do to help.

Please give me more details , so I can better assist you. What exactly do you see listed in device manager under network adapters?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bluetooth, PCIe - note that I am not in front of the computer in trouble.

If possible, could you send me an exact list or a picture of what you see? We'll need to be in front of the computer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it connects to the internet via Ethernet - I cannot get in front of the computer.

As you can imagine, it will be difficult to work on fixing the problem without having access to the computer. Will you have access to the computer later today?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no - it is my mother in laws - I am not over there. I am just trying to help. Her computer was corrupted - I fixed the bios and did a windows 10 reset. When it boots up - it says it does not have internet - complains of no gateway. I think that the reset lost a dell driver for Ethernet or gateway...

For this type of problem, I'd need to troubleshoot with you while you are in front of the computer. If I just gave you instructions now, they may likely not work. So, if you can get to your in laws sometime later today or tomorrow, you should be able to reply to this question, and I will respond when I'm online. If you give me a timeframe, I can try to make sure I'm online then if possible. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand - but - can you give me instructions. I will try it and then respond to this when I work out the logistics. How do I get this thread re-started?

Mark,

I can try. You mention it connects with "ethernet". Do you mean that the wired connection works, but the wireless does not? If it's a wireless problem, then please tell me more details about that. Are you able to see your wireless network, and what happens when you connect?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No - it normally connects via Ethernet - but no longer since the windows reset.

Do yo have a device with a red x or a yellow mark in device manager under the network adapters?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No - and that bothers me. Even had windows check for new hardware - nothing. I think the gateway function is just software.

At this point, I need to know exactly what you see under network adapters. We'd then need to take other troubleshooting action in front of the computer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I reconnect?

You can just reply to this question, and when I'm online , I will respond. If you tell me about the time you'll be available eastern standard time, I will try to make myself available then. Thanks.