Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Its not my computer. I am researching something for my

Customer Question

Its not my computer. I am researching something for my boyfriend. He had an email from his attorney and it just disappeared. He thinks his ex-wife hacked into his email account and deleted it (which is illegal) I was trying to find out who he could call to see what other IP address has logged into his account as of yesterday so that he could call and get proof of this illegal activity.
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: I don't know what he is using...this isn't for me. I was just trying to do some research for my boyfriend since an email from his attorney mysteriously disappeared and was deleted
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just need a phone number for him to call so he can find out what IP address got into his gmail account yesterday and deleted the email so he can give it to his attorney.
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Just a phone number is ***** I need. He signed onto my laptop this morning but this email was sent yesterday and disappeared yesterday. He saw it on his phone and then it was gone, no where to be found. He just needs proof of the other location that his email account was logged into. He wants to call and talk to someone and get proof. He already changed his password ***** morning
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

There is no number to call, but Gmail keeps an Activity log with IP Addresses of access to the account.

What he needs to do is go to www.gmail.com and sign into his account

In his inbox at the bottom you see the words Details which you can click on

You click on this and it will show all the recent access addresses to this account (the IP Address and location).

It does not show everything but this is all that's available, though if it was recent it will be there if she did hack it.

Then you would need to check what the ex-wife is using as an IP (you would need to go onto her computer and go to www.whatsmyip.com to check this, or you can see if the location is where she is.

But this is how you can see what activity has occurred on the account.

I would also advise he enables 2 step verification, so that any further access by the wife is not possible, and he can do this via the link below

https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

If you \would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you