I have a Toshiba A665-6100X laptop. The webcam is showing a

Customer Question
I have a Toshiba A665-6100X...
I have a Toshiba A665-6100X laptop. The webcam is showing a picture just fine, but there is no audio when using the webcam. Does the webcam have the audio built in? If so, is there a cable that comes off the webcam and connects to audio on the soundboard?
The built in microphone stopped recording and does not show up in the drivers now. Is it possible the internal microphone in the webcam is either disconnected internally or died? The webcam connector came out of the webcam and I replugged it to get the webcam going again by opening the screen bezel and placing the cable in the camera.
So is there an audio cable to this webcam that I should be checking out? And no, I have done no upgrades and still have the same operating Windows 7 on the computer that was there when the webcam microphone worked.
A diagram sure would help if there is an audio cable I need to check out. Here is a link to the webcam replacement I can purchase on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Satellite-16-A665-LCD-Video-Cable-Webcam-Camera-Board-DC020012110-/121933968052?hash=item1c63d4b2b4:g:SIYAAOSw9uFW8ux0
Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
8/19/2016
Tech Support Specialist: technicalcat, Consultant replied 1 year ago
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant

Hello Felonise , and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. The webcam on your laptop will use the same microphone that is built into your laptop. There is only one microphone device, and it's very likely not part of your camera assembly.

If you click on start, then control panel, then system, then device manager, please tell me what you see under the "sound, video, game controller" section. You can see this by click the small arrow next to that heading. Tell me all the devices listed under there. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Why is there a small hole next to the webcam? The microphone works wells if I plug one into the microphone hole. However, not when the webcam is turned on and I have not plugged a microphone into the microphone jack opening, there is no sound recorded anymore.

Sound,video and game controllers shows

Sound symbol Intel(R) Display Audio

Sound symbol Realtek High Definition Audio

Have you looked at the webcam replacement piece on eBay I provided a link for? Where are the two plug in cables with the replacement part going?

The microphone may be located close to the webcam, or may be part of the same assembly, but it is usually not part of it, and they are logically two separate devices.

Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen, click on 'Recording devices'. If you do not see your Microphone there, right click on a blank part of that window, make sure the check mark is on 'Show Disabled Devices' and 'Show Disconnected Devices'. Let me know if you see your microphone or any recording devices there please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

There is no microphone symbol or recording device icon. There is only the speaker device icon.

Please RIGHT click on that speaker icon in the tray (down by your clock). This should bring up a menu, which shows both playback devices and recording devices. Left click on recording devices.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

And so the Microphone and Stereo Mix icons appear. The Microphone is default and the stereo mix is ready.

Good, now on that same window, you should see a set of bars to the right of the microphone as shown in the picture below. Try talking into your mic and tell me if you see any action with those bars. they should light up and down like an equalizer.

http://thewindowsclub.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sound-properties.jpg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I can only get the microphone to record when I have one plugged in. There is no sound recorded when there is no microphone plugged in. How many times do I have to tell you that the plugged in microphone works and the built-in one does not? If you have a drive suggestion for the

If you have a driver suggestion for the built-in microphone, that is the only answer that might be a software solution. I am somewhat unwilling to monkey with the driver of the microphone jack as that could leave me without any microphone at all.

So now it's time you answer me about the replacement part and where the end connectors on it are going.

When the webcam was not plugged in the driver did not show. I am thinking that there is a plug in for the built-in mic incorporated in the webcam and one of the connectors coming off the webcam may be loose. Can we work with that idea?

Sorry for the confusion. I wanted you to check the recording devices without any external microphone or external webcam plugged in. We need to see if Windows is seeing your internal microphone at all. So, please check that again, and let me know what you see in the list of recording devices, if anything , when you do not have an external mic of any sort plugged in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I don't have an external microphone plugged in. I don't have the external webcam plugged in either that would supply a microphone. With nothing plugged in the recording level does not change and recording does not occur.

I'm going to ask you one last time to answer me about the replacement part and where the end connectors on it are going.

Right, and there are other problems for which I could troubleshoot with you that would cause the microphone problems you are having. However, you do not want to carry through the troubleshooting steps, and instead are asking about a replacement webcam. I wouldn't suggest or advise on a replacement webcam at this point without further troubleshooting, if your goal is to get your internal microphone working again. It wouldn't be accurate advice, and could likely not fix the problem you are having with the microphone.

Let me know if you would like me to opt your question out to other experts for other ideas. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

You seem not to understand that I checked out the drivers and they are working just fine but show no signs of the existence of a built-in microphone. The driver for the webcam did not show up either when the webcam was not connected to the cable that has the two connectors on it that I am asking about. I assume that one is video and the other audio and would like to get confirmation of that. So since that does not seem to register for you, please transfer me to another expert.

I actually understand all of these things. I'm an IT professional who has been building computers and fixing laptops for over 15 years. You previously indicated that a microphone device shows up under recording devices. This would indicate that your internal microphone device is plugged in and installed properly. Once we established that, we'd troubleshoot from there. Would you like to continue troubleshooting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I have taken this laptop apart more than once and over time replaced a screen, keyboard, and dvd in it as well as the simple replacement of the battery and adding ram. My career is that of an IT project manager. So, let's just answer my question about the two connectors coming off the cable that feed the webcam and be done with that question now. Then we can talk other troubleshooting once I have that answer.

The connectors go to the laptop mainboard, but that doesn't answer your question or solve the problem. Also, if the mic is part of the webcam. then one or both of those connectors could provide the digital connection for that device. I would need to dig up service information on that unit to find further details on the webcam board, but none of this will help to solve the problem with your mic at this point. If you see a microphone under the recording devices, then the microphone device is plugged in and installed properly, and we'd troubleshoot from there.

Also, one more question I forgot to ask after troubleshooting was diverted. You mentioned plugging in a microphone. Was this a USB microphone, or are you plugging in an ANALOG microphone into a microphone port on the side or front of the unit? An analog microphone has a headphone style plug. This is important because that may be the device showing under recording devices, and your internal mic may have another issue, such as the BIOS not recognizing it.

OK, if you only see ONE microphone device in the recording devices, and when you plug in the analog mic, you can see activity on the bars for that device, then the internal microphone is not properly installed, is defective, or the BIOS is not properly recognizing it. Of those causes, the microphone being defective is least likely, but still possible. Even so , it wouldn't hurt to go back and double check that you only have the one device under recording, and also test it with the external analog mic.

Looking at your original question, you mention the mic stopped working. Did this happen before or after you performed any disassembly on the unit or messed with the plug on the webcam?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I replaced the screen over a year ago, unplugged the webcam and plugged it back in at the end of the repair. Both the webcam and sound worked without problem for the past year.

Then last week both the webcam and sound stopped working. I took off the bezel on the screen and found the webcam unplugged. I plugged the webcam connector directly behind the bezel back in and the webcam video returned but the built-in mic did not return. This leads me to ask if possibly one of the connectors at the end of the webcam might be loose.

When I use the sound recorder or Skype with the analog mic, I get registration of sound and also a recorded file that can be played back and well understood. Nothing happens when I use the built-in mic.

I conclude the connectors on the webcam cable are loose, or the webcam mic is shoot. Henceforth before I have to take out the screen to see, my question concerning where the connectors go and if one is audio and the other video.

Felonise,

Although I'm not able to locate a service manual for this particular laptop, there is a teardown video for the LCD that shows the webcam and cable at the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHw5Emk5-lc

Unless you pulled very hard at the webcam cable, it is doubtful you unseated the connections, as you can see that cable runs down the back of the LCD and to the mainboard.

My recommendation at this point would be to ensure you have the latest BIOS update installed for this unit. If it is up to date, or if an update yields no result, I would proceed with replacement of the webcam if you can verify that "hole" for the microphone. Again, without a service manual, it's difficult to confirm if the microphone is on that cam board or not, but you should be able to visually verify.

Let me know if this answers your questions, or if you need further information. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Thanks for the thought, but the BIOS has not been changed by Toshiba in years.

Really, do you think that I am so uninformed as to not know the hole is the microphone?

There was no solution but to entirely take the bezel off and begin a discovery tour.

I have now resolved my problem. It appears that somehow the cable going to the motherboard must have slid into a position that it was pinched by the henges. This is also probably what caused the multi-function connector to be pulled out after several opening and closing of the lid over a year of time. When I completely removed the bezel and repositioned the cable and made sure it was in its retainer guides, the sound returned.

There has been no change to the drivers or anything else other than repositioning the cable that went from the sound module on the motherboard to the webcam multi-function (sound and video) connector.

Needless to say, I can now record without a microphone to the sound recorder and be heard on Skype and Widows Movie Maker without the analog microphone.

OK.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I believe our conversation is done.

Good to hear you got it working. On a side note, I would suspect that previous teardowns of the unit would have contributed to the plugs becoming unseated. It's not normal at all for cable plugs inside a laptop to becoming unseated from normal use, which is why I didn't suggest to tear it down and check. However if you tear things down, and don't route the cables and everything just as before, then problems can occur, especially around that pivot point between the LCD and the main unit. As such you might want to double check the connections , cabling , and routing before buttoning it back up.

Andy, Computer Consultant