I have a new Sony ILCE 7M2 camera. It works fine on .JPEG

Customer Question
files but it will not...
I have a new Sony ILCE 7M2 camera. It works fine on .JPEG files but it will not recognize my Photoshop Raw converter 6.70.339 and when I download your file for this camera I receive a message saying it is either the wrong file or my Windows 7 operating system is at fault. I have talked to Windows, and ADOBE and now you and everyone thinks my problem is with the other group. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
8/13/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I understand how frustrating it must be to be passed from one person to another.

I think I can say, the buck stops here. I will see if I can advise you through the difficulty and give you good information too.

First I will have to understand just what is going on, though. Are you trying to

1. shoot photos with the new Sony camera, in RAW format?

2. and then, use those RAW photo files, taken by the new Sony camera, in a RAW converter to some other format?

3. and what file for the new Sony camera have you tried and failed to get working on the Windows 7 PC? is it a driver for the PC to interface with the camera?

Let me know, using the Reply To Expert function, and I will advise you as to a way out of the difficulty.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 yes
2 yes
3 Sony lists what RAW converter is correct. I use the one specified by Sony for my ILCE7M2

OK, thanks for confirming that information.

RAW files can be useful, of course. But there are two points that might need to be gotten right:

First, what setting on the camera are you using, to produce RAW files when you snap a photo with the Sony camera?

Second, what is your Windows 7's "System Type" ? that info can be seen, by going to

Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System

32-bit or 64-bit, are the usual values. Let me know, please. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
First: Auto, A,P,S (depends on what where and when)
Second: 64bit (I do mostly photo compositing in Photoshop 5.0)Setting up a new RAW converter has always before been a "no brainer"

With a 64-bit system, you ought to be able to use almost any RAW converter, so the system type shouldn't be the problem.

The exact message with which the downloaded RAW converter fails to install or work, is needed, for me to interpret what exactly is going wrong with it. If you could try that recommended download again, and copy the message, it would help with the interpretation of the problem.

Then somehow it is wrong for your Windows 7 64-bit version.

What site did you get it from? Sony's I presume.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
supposedly the specific Sony camera ILCE-7M2.(Alpha7ii) One of the ironies of this is that I got to you through Windows support. When they got tired of me (I have an open case from 1/2015 where they "reissued" me a new security key for Windows 7) they simply dropped the call and I found myself sitting on your website. Are you part of Windows Support?

No, I am not in any way affiliated with Microsoft.

Let's try something else... one minute please...

First, install this on your Windows 7 computer:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=ILCE7M2&upd_id=4022&os_group_id=6

with the camera disconnected and Off, first.

Then restart the computer.

Then, download and try to install this on your Windows 7 64-bit computer:

...er... actually, for your version of Windows there *is* no RAW converter or image converter. You must have installed a version of it that was not for Windows 7 64-bit.

The Image Data Converter is only offered for Windows 8.1 64-bit, and more recent versions of Windows.

That explains why it didn't work, and will not work.

Another RAW converter will be needed for your usage on your computer.

Andy, Computer Consultant