Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions
95132829

I am running manjaro and my laptop has randomly stopped

Customer Question

Hello, I am running manjaro and my laptop has randomly stopped booting, getting stuck at the 'loading initial ramdisk' message
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, brand/model and is it a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Isaac,
I am running Linux - Manjaro with kernel version 4.4.15. My computer was working fine until about an hour ago and has since failed to boot. My laptop is an HP I can't see the model number at the moment it seems to have been rubbed off. The message that comes on the screen after I attempt to boot from grub is:
Loading Linux 4.4.15-3-Manjaro x64 ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...

Okay, i will open this up to another expert with Linux background. Please stand by.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

I have a few questions to make sure that I have the whole picture.

Are you running dual booting Windows on this laptop as well?

Have you recently upgraded Linux?

Have you run a boot info script? If so, can you please let me see it?

It COULD be an issue with the Grub2 path, but most likely it's going to be the kernal or initrd.img.

You said you are booting from grub, try booting from LiveCD. This will indicate if there is a hardware issue or not. If you CAN boot from LiveCD and not grub, then it would probably be faster to reinstall the OS than to troubleshoot it.

If you absolutely WANT to, after initramfs, you could try adding "nomodeset" to the end of the linux line in the grub menu. Press 'e' to edit the menu entry, then add nomodeset to the end of the 'linux' line and CTRL-x to boot. Add your video driver, if it works.

Let me know what happens. If this didn't resolve it, we will try something else. If I resolved it with the answer I have provided, PLEASE remember to rate my answer with 3 stars or more so that I get credit for answering your question!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jennie,

Thanks for your response but I have since managed to resolve the issue. The reason the boot process was stalling (grub worked fine) was that one of my RAM chips was malfunctioning. I managed to diagnose this by running the MemTest86 program which showed one of the chips to not be working properly. I have since removed the chip and am running the computer on a single 4 gb RAm instead of two. Thank you again for your response.

Thank you for responding! If you feel like rating my answer, I'd appreciate it. If you don't, that's okay, too. I always love hearing ways that my customers resolve issues. You have a great day!