Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

My computer has been freezing (windows 10) randomly. all i

Customer Question

My computer has been freezing (windows 10) randomly. all i get now is a black screen and blinking white bar on log in. Do I have to be logged in to access safe mode?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please understand, we will try different methods if needed to get your computer working again.

You can access system restore without signing in. Here is how.

Shut down the windows 10 computer, start it.. When it gets to the windows sign in screen, dont sign in.

Instead, left click the power button at the bottom right.

Then, hold down the shift key on your keyboard, and then click restart.

This should bring you to the blue screen menu.. Choose troubleshooting, advanced, and then choose system restore.

Once system restore loads, choose a restore point that was one day before this problem started and then carry out the system restore.

That should fix the issue, but if you get stuck or this doesnt work then please send a detailed reply and I will assist you further as needed.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have earlier tied restore. I can not log in and want to try logging in in safe mode. Like I use to do with F8. How do I do this?
I do not want to pay unless my problem is solved.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Note I can access .F12 options. So it is probably not hardware but the Windows 10 operating system. If so what do I do?

You followed the steps i sent above, you dont have to log in to get to system restore.

Also, when you follow those steps and it gets to advanced and troubleshooting menus,

you can go to advanced options menu for restore.

This method should get you to all start up options. We need to restore it enough to repair it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All I get is a black screen with a blinking white bar in the left corner.

Are you able to see the power button at all (the one on the monitor)?

Do you ever get to an option screen at all?

If not, take battery out (if thats an option), take power cord out of computer.

Hold down power button on the computer itself for 30 seconds to a full minute.

Put battery back in, put power cord back in and try to repeat the steps above?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can access the F12 options

Stay right there for me. Dont change or select anything yet.

What do you see listed on that screen?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can not see the power button. I get the dell symbol and an option for f1 set up ad f12 boot options then goes to black screen with blinking light.
Do you think I can reload with a Windows 10 repair disk?

yes, but once you insert the disk. You have to go to boot options first, select boot from either

odd (optical disc drive) or cd. Then it will allow the repair disk to run.

Do you want me to show you how to create this disk yourself or show you where you can purchase one/or usb repair drive?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
show me how to create this disk my self.

Please follow the guide below. Make sure when you pick your disk, it is large enough. (file is massive and will take time)

This will allow you to repair as well, not just wipe everything on the computer.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-create-windows-10-installation-disk-or-bootable-usb/

I also recommend you use a usb. They can write faster and when you put it in your pc that needs repaired, you

can select boot option as soon as you put it in. It is a lot less time consuming.

~Franklin

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok looks good so far ...but as I said I am not paying unless my computer is fixed or my problem solved (accessing the docs on my hard drive). I will proceed with your direction and once solved I will pay.

Only negative ratings affect me. The pay is with the site admins. If we cannot get this resolved, i will send you a refund

link. I can only try and help you if the machine is repairable. Let me know how things go, and we will proceed from there.

~Franklin

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I do want a refund. I got wrong data from you. I called del and the problem was....I will give you this answer for free by the way...my computer was not compatible to windows 10 so corrupted. Loading Windows 10 would have been a wild goose chase. Please give me the refund link.

Okay. That is interesting. Can you tell me the model of your pc?

I am putting the link for the refund in here for you.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

I am not in billing, but you can follow the directions on that page to put in for a full refund.

~Franklin

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks it is a 6 year old lnspiron Desktop. Microsoft gives no warning when pushing you for an upgrade.

Yes. You are unfortunately correct.

You can stop it when you put your other version back on your pc like this:

1. Click Computer Configuration.
  2. Click Policies.
  3. Click Administrative Templates.
  4. Click Windows Components.
  5. Click Windows Update.
  6. Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
  7. Click Enable.

Good luck.

~Franklin