Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Dell dimension 9200 boots up with only numbers and then goes

Customer Question

dell dimension 9200 boots up with only numbers and then goes blank
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Dell? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: dell dimension 9200
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tried to start in safe mode
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Does dell have an F key that gives the option to repair
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

Try F11. that works on most dell to get you into the recovery partition.

also try Ctrl F11 and alt F11.

It will very likely wipe off everything on your computer if you do the recovery. But it will restore the windows and put it back to factory default so that you can use it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried all and it still does not work
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

You have to turn it off fully

and then turn it on and immediately begin tapping the keys.

either F11 or holding the ctrl down and tapping the F11

also make sure that nothing is in the cd driver or floppy drive if you have one and no usb flash drive is plugged in.

Sometimes it takes a few tries.

also what operating system are you using and can you be more specific about exactly what happens when you turn it on. what numbers come up what do they do where on the screen etc ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did not work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

can you get to the bios by tapping the F2 button ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the dell splash screen comes up then a bunch of zeros flood the screen then it goes blank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checking
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

check the 0 keys on your keyboard and make sure it is not stuck.

you might even disconnect the keyboard to see if that makes a difference when you turn it on,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got to the bios
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing has changed just zeros on the screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I take the keyboard out I get the same results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after the Zeros disappear the computer shuts down
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

try using F8 the same one that gets to the safe mode choice.

is there anything under there for advanced options or repair or trouble shoot ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not get the safe mode options. I've tried all of this prior to asking for support
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

how about F12 ? that might get you to a boot select prompt which might have the recover partition as an option

other than that your only choice if you can't get into the recovery partition is to get a windows install or recovery cd or flash drive and boot from that.

If you have the serial number of the computer dell will give you one for basically the price of the media and shipping

they used to have a page where you could order them easily but i can't seem to find it anymore. You can call them at 1-***-***-**** and they should be able to help you with a recovery disk for that machine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does not recognize any of the F keys
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I thought you said that it did recognize the F2 key for the bios.

That is important. It means the basic hardware is still good. and that the keyboard is probably not defective. Both of which i considered.

The problem would seem to be in the hard drive. Either it is broken or the windows on it is badly corrupted.

Your next step would be to get a recovery disk or flash drive that you can boot the computer from. If you have the serial number of the computer dell will give you one for basically the price of the media and shipping