Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Just trying to find a receipt scanner that works with

Customer Question

Just trying to find a receipt scanner that works with Quicken 2016
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Recently purchased a IMAC and was sold a NEATReceipts scanner but it is not compatible with Quicken 2016 because of the QIF files are not supported by Quicken.
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the iMac inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job.
Customer: Please do
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not much because I am not that tech savvy but I can follow directions if willing to give
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: not really. I was just thinking that I might need a different scanner and like to be advised on which would be a good fit with Quicken 2016
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.

You can use the Neat scanner and Neat 5 software with Quicken.

Here are the instructions>

Neat Software allows you to transfer Quicken account data into Neat so that your account names will match in both applications which in turn will allow you to transfer data identified from your scanned receipts (such as receipt date, vendor name, sales tax, total amount, etc) into Quicken so you can perform accounting functions on the receipts soon after scanning them.

Before exporting to a Quicken account for the very first time, you will need to create and import a QIF file of your Quicken accounts.

NOTE: Different versions of Quicken use different file formats, such as QFX, QIF, and QDF. Neat only uses QIF file formats. Because Neat uses only the QIF file format, it’s necessary to first export your Quicken accounts to QIF from Quicken to ensure Neat and Quicken can work together using same format. After exporting your Quicken Accounts, that QIF file needs to be imported into Neat so that items exported later will be compatible with your Quicken accounts.

IN QUICKEN:

1. Open Quicken and your company file.
2. From the File menu, choose Export and then QIF File. The QIF Export dialog box opens.

3. Choose from the Quicken Account to Export from dropdown menu.
4. Under the Include In Export heading, only Account List should be selected (as pictured below).

5. Click on Browse at the top of the QIF Export Screen to choose a location for the exported file. In theExport to QIF File window that opens, choose a location easy to access on your hard drive.

6. To complete the QIF Export, type a a name for the exported file in the File Name field and click OK to save the file and close the QIFExport Window.

IN NEAT:

7. In Neat, click the EXPORT button at the top center within Neat 5.6 as shown below:

8. Select “QUICKEN” from the list of file types.

9. The first time you export to Quicken you will need to add your accounts from Quicken. Click MANAGE QUICKEN ACCOUNTS.

10. To add your account data from Quick, click IMPORT and browse to the location of your account file ending with .QIF. Select it and then click “Open”.

11. Your account file will be imported and show the following:

12. The Accounts will now be listed in the window. Click OK to exit the Account Manager.

Now that you have imported your account information from Quicken you will be able to export receipt data from Neat to Quicken.

To export receipt data from Neat to Quicken see Exporting to Quicken from Neat 5

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would work fine and good if Quicken 2016 would export to QIF but it doesn't and it does not give you that QIF choice.

You can export finacial reports to QIF,here is how to export to QIF:

1. Choose File menu > File Export > QIF file.
  2. In the QIF File to Export to field, Quicken displays the preset path of the export file. Select the appropriate option:
    • Enter a name for the export file at the end of the existing path (make sure there is a backslash \ before the file name). Quicken automatically adds the correct file extension.
    • Click Browse to select a different location. Enter a name in the File name field, and then click OK to return to the QIF Export window.
  3. In the Quicken Account to Export fromlist, select the account from which to export transactions.
    • What if I only want to export lists?
  4. In the Include Transactions in Datesfield, enter the dates of transactions to export.
    • Tell me more
  5. In the Include in Export list, select the items to include in the export.
    • Select Transactions to include the data in the account's register or transaction list.
    • Select Account List to include all your accounts.
    • Select Category List to include the Tag List in addition to your list of categories.
    • Select Memorized payees to make available from QuickFill and the Memorized Payee List all the transactions you had Quicken memorize in the previous file.
    • Select Security Lists to include all your securities, security prices (including price histories), security types, and your investment goals.
    • Select For Macintosh Users to includes securities, security prices, and the last-saved budget so you can import them to a Quicken for Macintosh file.
    • Select Business Lists to include invoice items and all templates (only in Quicken Home & Business).
  6. Click OK to create the .QIF file.
  7. Import the QIF file into Quicken.

Notes

To set up a new file with your existing lists, use Export and Import to copy everything except the transactions from an existing file. After copying the list information, you can make changes to the lists at any time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying but my Quicken 2016 does not have a QIF export or import. My Quicken 2005 saves files in QIF but did not convert to QIF in Quicken 2016

okay, do you have a lot of receipts to scan at one time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I scan receipts everyday.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I think there is some confusion on either what quicken can do with a receipt or what the expert thought you wanted.

there is no way to scan a receipt so that it makes an entry to the register in quicken.

What you CAN do is add a scanned receipt to the transaction entry that you put in manually or download from the bank.

That would just be a jpg picture of the receipt for backup if you ever needed it.

Any scanner should be able to create a jpg file from the scan.

whether you can do it the other way around where you have the quicken start the scan rather than attaching ( not importing ) the jpg file, i would have to look into. But if it can do that it would work with any scanner that had either a wia or twain interface and again i would have to check which one quicken would use. It might depend on the operating system of the computer.