GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

The charger surface pro 2 does not work. This is the second

Customer Question

the charger for my surface pro 2 does not work. This is the second one that has burned out.
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Jim. My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. I'm sorry that you are having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

Power cords for laptops, tablets and phones are one of the most common parts the need to be replaced. When power cords are bent at odd angles or just wrapped tightly around the brick, over time the wires inside will break. To avoid having to frequently replace your charger, treat it very gently. Avoid bending the charger cord whenever possible. It's also important to avoid the common mistake of wrapping the cord tightly for storage. Most people wrap the cable tightly around the power brick, bending the wires inside, over and over again until they break. Even if the plastic casing doesn't break, the wires inside can. When you bend them back and forth in the same spot over and over again, they will soon break from the repeated stress.

Instead of wrapping your cable tightly around the power brick, hold your power brick in your hand, making sure the cable coming out of it is straight, and just coil your cord loosely.

If you'd like, I can probably find a photo for you demonstrating this.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

It may also be helpful to you to know that you don't necessarily have to buy your power cord from Microsoft. There are several third party vendors that offer charging cables for considerably less than Microsoft. Amazon and eBay are good places to look. Just be sure that you purchase from a reliable seller with a good rating as there are some cheaply made replacement cords from China that don't hold up. Also be sure that the adapter meets the same specifications as the original adapter (voltage , etc).

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 year ago.

I hope that I have provided the information that you were seeking. If so, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!