Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

We had two short power outages a few days ago, now my WD

Customer Question

We had two short power outages a few days ago, now my WD external hard drive is not showing on my iMac. Light is on, sounds like powering up, but nothing
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the iMac inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job.
Customer: great
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: unplugging both usb and power and plugging back in
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: disk utility won't work unless I unplug the WD
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot this issue!

I do want to be honest with you on the front end and tell you that it could be a hardware issue with the drive. This has been known to have after power failures.

But let's see what we can come up with. I take it this drive is connected via USB, is that correct?

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 year ago.

You seem to be away from your computer so I will be opting out of this question and opening it up to other experts.

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I will be the person helping you today.

I can help you in one of two ways:
1) We will communicate back and forth on this page.
2) Remote support, which would allow me to take a look at the problem and fix it for you while you watch.

In my experiences, remote support saves a lot of time for everybody and is safer because if instructions are not followed correctly, it may make the problem worse or create a new problem.

As a side note, both options are covered by a 100% guarantee and fully refundable, if we are not able to fix your problem.

If you wish to choose the first option, please let me know so we can begin. If you wish to choose the second, better option, then click the Accept this Offer button for Secure Remote Assistance.

Thank you,
Jason