Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

Ms.! I just purchased a Roku 3 and cannot get the remote to

Customer Question

Hello Ms. Wilson! I just purchased a Roku 3 and cannot get the remote to pair. i have tried every method at Roku's support center and still unsuccessful.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: for about 45 minutes now.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: every method listed at https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/articles/208755708-Roku-Remotes-Information-Troubleshooting#location_repair4
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: the green light in the back of remote just blinks at 1 second intervals. no pairing detected or noted on the screen.
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And how long has the screen been an issue?
Customer: roku 3 model 4230x
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for you question and the opportunity to assist.

Is the Roku being set up in a room where there is other audio/video equipment that

uses infrared remotes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tv and cable box and surround sound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for helping byron.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

The way to troubleshoot the interference issue would be to hook the Roku up to a lone TV in another

room and see if the remote will pair there.

Also check the front of the remote where the sensor is located for a thin, clear piece of protective

shipping plastic and make sure the signal is not being blocked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no plastic. just continuous blinking of the green pairing button on the back of the remote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try another tv. brb.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no pairing from the other tv. is there a way to active the remote app on my iphone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is still continuous blinking on the remote.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

You'd need to get the Roku connected to wi-fi first.

Have you done these steps:

• Open the battery compartment by removing the battery cover
  • Unplug the power supply from your Roku player.
  • Press and hold the A and B button on the Roku remote (or the Home and Down buttons, if your remote does not have A & B buttons) and then press the pairing button on the remote while still holding down the A and B buttons.
    • The remote pairing LED should flash. When it does, release the buttons.
    • You should see 3 more LED flashes. This will clear the remote.
  • Reconnect the power supply to the Roku player.
  • Put the remote into pairing mode by pressing and holding the pairing button until the pairing LED flashes. (about 3 seconds)
  • Once the Roku player is fully rebooted, you will see the pairing message on screen after a few moments and your Roku player will pair with the remote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there supposed a blink of a red light on the front of the when i press any of buttons?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if so there is no light on the front when i press any button. i have done your recommended steps and still no pairing.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

You won't see a light flash on the remote. Did the continuous blinking stop after you reset the remote?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did stop. and nothing. should i remove the batteries again?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Here's a way to check the remote. Grab a smartphone and turn on the camera. Look at the front of the remote, using the camera. When you push remote buttons while looking at the front of the remote through the camera you should

see a white light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no white light. faulty remote i assume?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Do you have batteries other than those that came with the remote?

From your description earlier it sounds like the ones you're using are good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah, i swapped those out first. i initially thought the batteries were dead.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

If you're looking at the remote through a phone camera and push any button you should be seeing a white light flash on and off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no white light from the roku remote.
i tested your method on another entirely different remote in the other room and i saw 2 quick flashed of white light.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Then the remote is the problem. You should definitely be seeing the light flash when buttons

are pressed. When you did the reset on the remote did the lights behave like mentioned in the

instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when doing the reset. i get the 3 blinks and then i let go of the buttons and then nothing. i wait. still nothing. i then remove and reinstall the batteries and still just a flashing green light from the pairing button and no indication of detection on the screen. so ive tried 2 different tvs. all the methods on the roku support page and your suggested method of detecting a white light from the remote. i believe we have concluded that the remote may be faulty.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

I agree. It's rare to get a bad remote but it does happen. I'm sure you'll have better luck with the replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
uuhhggg... i will return this item for a refund. thank you for all of your assistance regarding this mind numbing matter. I appreciate your kindness and patience.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem. I know this type of thing is a bit unnerving.

Since I couldn't get this going for you call Customer Service tomorrow (they just closed for the evening)

1.***-***-**** and get a credit to your card.