This question is directed to all the VETERAN Web Developers

Customer Question
only. I'm looking to...
This question is directed to all the VETERAN Web Developers only. I'm looking to create a website to sell electronic goods. The below list is what I have so far. What else should I be concerned with? Also, what languages should I be considering?
Backend admin page so I can modify content without any coding
Cater to the desktop user, tablets and cell phone user.
Ecommerce with merchant account.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
6/19/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Consider all the languages that are likely to have

A. a major web presence, and

B. also don't consider any languages you aren't good at, or cannot easily hire someone inexpensively who is good at them. Urdu, for instance, is quite expensive to come by experts in. It's a thought.

C. also, a given language should have both a large 'web browsing presence' or internet activity percentage, and also a large interest in whatever you are selling.

Consider security also. Your website 'has money' (and goods) so it should be more secure rather than less secure. Your backend admin page must have a good password ***** access to it, for sure, no matter how inconvenient you may find entering a good password. And, you should not share the password ***** much. The fewer who know it, the fewer can betray it - expensively for you, at the very worst.

Not that I mean to be alarmist! but this is a consideration that, if followed, will see to it that it seems 'alarmist' forever - hopefully. And that's a good result.

Make sure that, for payment, you use a better name of merchant or credit-transfer facility. Paypal, not NoNameMoneyTransfers.com, for instance.

Do you need basic considerations (the above cover most of it, plus what you mentioned)? or advanced considerations of what a good e-commerce website needs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I need both basic and advanced. I will start to me with some web development companies soon and just want to be more educated before I talk to them.

More advanced: make sure that, if your site uses SQL queries in any way, that the web dev. co. you hire is accustomed to warding off SQL injection strategies (used to attack sites.)

As for other advanced considerations... I'm not sure I have thought of them all. It all depends upon what you are dealing with on the site (not in point of goods, but in point of 'interface stuff'.

One other thing is disaster recovery. Will your site be backed up regularly? will there be a fallback if it goes 'down' or ceases to function? If it is attacked and erased (a very severe case, but still) will you have a current backup of the entire site, to restore it to full and current function level soon after?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I have talked to a few companies and some suggest core php, wordpress. Are these good or just basic?

PHP is a programming language.

It is often used with WordPress, a system for administration of sites (it's often used for Blogs sites.)

They're both pro level enough, but as I said, Wordpress is kind of thought of as Blog Site admin, or 'web publishing' but not so much as a framework for e-commerce sites like the one you are contemplating.

...Let me revise that: WordPress was originally used for blogging. But it can be used for e-commerce sites too.

And, WordPress is a major name.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

So what languages should I be considering for my needs?

WordPress is good enough. PHP is used with it, and is a good-enough language.

Note: if you need a second opinion on that, I can offer you the chance at such a second opinion here... at no extra charge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

One of my concerns with good enough is it might not be good enough 2-3 years from now and will have to do everything over again. I would rather spend more money now and get it done right.

The future cannot be foreseen.

*Everything* becomes obsolete. But WordPress isn't 'old' yet, just established.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Whats better then wordpress

Difficult question!

ColdFusion is, definitely, aged.

Any other candidates you've been asked to consider?

A consideration is: What is well-supported? (even aside from ease-of-use.) WordPress is well-supported.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

What languages are being used for ebay, amazon and microsofts websites?

Here's a page to read, on that subject:

http://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/wordpress-alternatives/

Microsoft's web page system is HUGE. It's difficult to think of summarizing what they use.

eBay... has been around a long time. And has huge volume + archived former auctions/presentations.

Amazon is huge in point of volume, aside from branches like Kindle Direct Publishing.

Something less huge to ask about, might be better to keep in mind, unless you are contemplating genuine Huge presence on the web.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Im expecting about 40-50K visits a month with about 10-15k purchases a month

That's something to tell your prospective developers.

And... they need to be able to support web traffic volume on that order.

(Just to let you know what a HUGE web presence is:

~2,000,000+ page loads or site visits per hour

~100,000 transactions a day, or so. Or more.)

Russell H., Computer Systems Expert