I have a Gateway NE 722 Series and I spilt water on the

keyboard about 5 months ago...
keyboard about 5 months ago. Is it dead? Can it be fixed? All I'm getting is the Gateway logo and those spinning dots.... Read full answer
I have a Gateway NE 722 Series and I spilt water on the keyboard about 5 months ago. Is it dead? Can it be fixed? All I'm getting is the Gateway logo and those spinning dots.
6/11/2016
Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Approximately how much water was spilled on the keyboard during the unlucky incident?

About 3/4 of a cup. I pulled the plug right away and took the battery off it didn't work so I put it away and just found it again this morning.

Ahh, that's quite a bit of water.

The motherboard is most likely permanently damaged as a result, but the data on your hard drive could be safe.

It might not have been that much water, I'm really not sure anymore but, I know water hit the keyboard. How do I get to the data on the hard drive?

The motherboard is a very core part of the computer, so in 99% of cases it's not cost efficient to replace the motherboard.

When you say "bottom of you laptop" where do you mean?

If you shut the laptop lid, and then turn it upside down so that the screen side is closest to a table top

Also, if you click on the long message in blue, you'll see an image in a new window

There is a white tag on the bottom, do you want the numbers and letters from that? Starts with S/N:NXY...
Oh look, it Windows 8

Don't need that. We're looking to see if your hard drive is accessible from unscrewing a door on the bottom of your laptop. In the image I sent, the door labeled #2 contains the hard drive.

Do you see a door in the same spot on the bottom of your laptop?

I don't see a door per say but, there are different panels that are screwed on the bottom. A lot of tiny screws. Where is this image you sent?

Yes. The panels that are secured through tiny screws. Click here to see the image and the panel labeled #2 contains the hard drive if the image looks similar to your laptop (it's the same Gateway NE series, but sometimes there can be variations amongst individual models)

Found the screen shot, my bottom doesn't look like this.

You do see a variety of panels with small screws though, yes?

I need a very small screw driver.

One of those is likely to contain your laptop's hard drive beneath it. Your laptop's hard drive looks like the following:

Once you have the hard drive, you'll want to insert it into a hard drive docking station, such as this one, and then connect the docking station to a working computer. From there you should be able to access the files contained on your laptop's hard drive.

I can't guarantee, especially remotely, that your laptop's hard drive is still in tact, but if you have valuable data on the hard drive, it is certainly worth a try in my opinion.

First I have to find a screw driver small enough to open the bottom. Can I take it to someone to do the checking? If so, how much should it cost?

You could take it to a shop and they would have a hard drive dock to transfer all of the data as well. Would you be interested in the price on just getting it inspected to see what components are damaged or having data transferred as well?

I would like the price for the inspection and having data transferred it possible. I have no idea and I don't want to overpay.

I would definitely recommend a local/independent shop over technical services offered at chain stores. I would go on Yelp and search for "computer repair" places near you and find a few with good ratings. You should be able to get an inspection for free or at least under $50 at some places.

Ok, I'll try that. Now what will I be charged for this consult? I signed up for $30. for today's consult only. I don't want a monthly fee.

From my expert view, I don't see the billing arrangement of a customer, so for any billing questions JustAnswer Customer Service which you can reach at 1.***-***-**** will be happy to answer any questions.

You can also contact Customer Service by email here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/customer-support

Hunter Owens
Thank you for your help Hunter!!

You're welcome. Have a great rest of your day

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Can't remember password. Password ne722. Gateway NE72206u.
Can't remember password JA: What exactly are you having trouble accessing? Customer: Password ***** JA: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)? Customer: Gateway NE… read more
Dustin Stroh
Dustin Stroh
Computer Networking and Information Securities
A friend has trouble with her pc and I'm trying to help her.
A friend has trouble with her pc and I'm trying to help her. This is how she describes it~ I've been getting messages about my display driver stopping working and recovering for months and the "intern… read more
Computer Technican,
I have a Gateway NE 722 series laptop. It's stating that the
Hi, I have a Gateway NE 722 series laptop. It's stating that the Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required info. Error Code Oxc0000034. It says I need to use recovery tools on the disc tha… read more
arsufi2002
arsufi2002
Stop searching for answers—
Get into a laptop I am locked out of, gateway ne722 series
gateway ne722 series AMD QUAD CORE PROCESSER A4 -5000 NE 722 series … read more
IT Manager,
Dear Just Answers, I installed Windows 10 over 7. Day 1
Dear Just Answers,I installed Windows 10 over 7. Day 1 worked great. Day 2 when I mouse over the start button, no pop up menu. Same thing for cortina. After a month I contact Microsoft via chat. They … read more
Cody
Cody
Systems Engineer,
My elderly friend has a brand new Gateway NE Series laptop.
My elderly friend has a brand new Gateway NE Series laptop. Some friends set it up for her and no one can remember the password. How can I reset the password XXXXX her (she has no UBS stick) or have t… read more
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hi there. I have a Gateway model DX4710-07. Had no problems
Hi there. I have a Gateway model DX4710-07. Had no problems with it, bought it as a dedicatred video capture machine and I used it for about six months for just that. My hobby went into hiatus for at … read more
Computer Technican,
Hi - I accidentally spilt some drink- not water - ribena -
Hi - I accidentally spilt some drink- not water - ribena - very sticky onto my laptop keyboard and, unsurprisingly, my spacebar is now sticking like hell. The laptop is an aspire timeline x, and it's … read more
Cris
Cris
Fizzy drink spilt on keyboard a few days ago. Machine is easynote
Fizzy drink spilt on keyboard a few days ago. Machine is easynote LJ71 RB 019 UK about 6 months old. Keys L, K, M,hash and numbers 1 and 0 are not responding. Has been suggested that it is possible to… read more
Computer Consultant,
MS Electrical Engineering
i spilt apple juice on my new x20 tablet about 8 hours ago.
i spilt apple juice on my new x20 tablet about 8 hours ago. The light is flickering but it does not seem to be rebooting. What do i do?… read more
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts
My darling friend spilt a cup of tea on the keyboard the other
My darling friend spilt a cup of tea on the keyboard the other day. The desktop went a bit hay wire. The keyboard has had to be replaced, but a day after the tea incident the first fine vertical line … read more
Network & System Administrator,
Please, kindly help me out as per my mini laptops Asus 10,
Please, kindly help me out as per my mini laptops Asus 10, it key board is no longer working and the desk top icon doesn't display atimes. please give way out. thanks… read more
mcsecpearson
mcsecpearson
Stop searching for answers—
hi I spilt water on my Toshiba L300 14x, it does go on but
hi I spilt water on my Toshiba L300 14x, it does go on but the screen wont show anything. Please help… read more
Computer Consultant,
MS Electrical Engineering
my daughter just spilt some water on the keyboard of my sons
my daughter just spilt some water on the keyboard of my sons sony lap top (1hor ago). Is now not turning on - is it now wrecked or can we do anything?!?… read more
Kevin
Kevin
Self Employed Network Consultant,
My son spilt a little bit of water on his Eec PC 1005HA netbook
My son spilt a little bit of water on his Eec PC 1005HA netbook yesterday and now his letter i is not working. Sometimes it won't type 'i' and sometimes the letter i is repeated a lot. Can you help? S… read more
JeffreyLDyer
JeffreyLDyer
Hi there, I have a sony vgn 617s bought in Feb 2006. very
Hi there, I have a sony vgn 617s bought in Feb 2006. very good machine. 2 months ago suddenly the screen went dead, used external monitor but system will not boot and system recovery won't appear on t… read more
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
IT Technician,
My laptop keyboard is locked and I cannot even type ctrl alt
My laptop keyboard is locked and I cannot even type ctrl alt del and get a response. Does this means the keyboard is faulty (compute less than 6 mos old) or did it somehow get locked. Anything I can t… read more
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
IT Technician,
Help....my keyboard on my desktop just wont work. The remote
Help....my keyboard on my desktop just won't work. The remote mouse works fine, but I cannot type anything.....… read more
magtech
magtech
IT Consulting - Owner,