My 2 year old Acer zs600 will not book up. my daughter put

Customer Question
Hi, My 2 year old Acer...
My 2 year old Acer zs600 will not book up. my daughter put it on this afternoon and said the spinning timer would not stop spinning and then she hit the power button again. when I came home there was an error message on the pc saying it did not start normally and gave me the option to start it normally. Now I have been alternating shutting off the power and resting it. The blue power light does not come on now. The last thing on the screen was a "diagnosing problem", but after 15 minutes, I cut the power. now when I put it on, I hear the hard drive engage for about 5 seconds, and then nothing but the fan. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
6/9/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Can you tell me what version of Windows you are running please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think Windows 10
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last month I think I downloaded Windows 10
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have had no problems with this pic until now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
R u there?

Okay thank you. Do you have a CD/DVD disc in the drive?

Remove that please and try to restart the computer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How will you access my pc?

I won't be able to until you can start it. Try removing the disc from the CD drive and restart it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took the disc out and turned it off, then turned it on again. Black screen, just the fan noise

Power it off then unplug it for about one minute then try again please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The blue power light does not come on at all. It was a short time ag
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok doing that now

Okay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I powered down, unplugged it for a minute, then plugged it back in and powered it on...nothing. No light on the power button. Just the fan blowing. The last thing I saw on the screen was "diagnosing computer" with the spinning timer. After 10 minutes, I turned it off due to impatience. Now nothing at all.

Okay, check the voltage switch in the back near the power plug to make sure it is set correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you think you can access my pic and fix it, I would be fine with that, except I have a black screen now, how would you acces it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would I know if it is correct?

One side should read 110 while the other will read 220 or something close to that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure what the voltage switch is. The only thing I see is a small gray button near the corner that can be depressed. There is no gauge on it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The letters spiffing are above the button. There is no markings for voltage on this pic. Are you familiar with the Acer zs600.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The screen is not black, there is a bluish hue to it when I shut the light off. I see nothing on the back of the pc regarding voltage. It almost seems like it is in some sort of hibernation.

It should boot up before that. Do you have any USB drives plugged in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am guessing there is no reset button
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my wireless mouse, nothing else

There is one thing you can try to see if it will reset. Unplug it then press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds then try starting it again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I hold the button while it is unplugged?

Yes. Hold it for a good 30 seconds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now the screen is black, no bluish hue

This is after you unplugged and held the power button?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unplugged it, held power for 45 seconds, plugged it back in, then hit the power button. The power button blue light does not come on at all.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fan is on, that is all I hear.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would anything change if I powered it off, unplugged it, and let it sit overnight and tried in the morning.

This is beginning to sound like a power supply failure. Can you open the case to access the RAM modules?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure how to do that

Okay. To your last question, possibly? You can leave it set for an hour or so and try it again to see what happens then let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get back to you. I will let it sit for a while off and unplugged. is this something that a Staples can fix?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Funny, I powered it off, it shut off, then came back on by itself

Just leave the chat session open for now and get back to me when you can. They could but you want to get an estimate first.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really don't want to start taking it apart

If you are not comfortable with that then don't.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I am using my iPad to chat, I will try again in an hour or so

Okay. I should be around but it may take me a bit to respond.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Dan,
I let my pc sit for 11/2 hours, booted it up and nothing. No hard drive engaging, just the fan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to take it to the store in the morning, seems like more than just shutting down and rebooting

You are most likely right. I suspect the power supply may be failing. This is something you might be able to do on your own, but I understand your apprehension. Let me know if you have further questions, and again, make sure you get an estimate before repairing.

Tech Support Specialist: Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

Did you try opening your PC in safe mode? If not please try following to see if you are able to do so.Because I have seen some PC's which produce sound at startup but allows you to enter in safe mode. You can select safe mode with Networking option

Start tapping the F8 key as soon as your manufacturer’s logo appears. This will open the Windows Advanced Options Menu.

• If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • If you see the Windows logo, it means you did not start pressing the F8 button soon enough. You will need to reboot and try again
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi