Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My windows 10 will not restart and repairs do not work, in

Customer Question

my windows 10 will not restart and repairs do not work, in my srttrail notepad i have a root cause found: "A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting
JA: You'd be surprised how many people have questions about Windows. Fortunately, the wizards we work with know tech inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with one right away. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: my windows 10 will not restart and repairs do not work, in my srttrail notepad i have a root cause found: "A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Computer Technician should know?
Customer: not sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

At any point do you get to the sign in screen where it asks for the password? I dont want to know if you can sign but, but can you get to that screen?

Also, whats the name brand and model of the computer?

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get to sign in screen and my computer is a gateway
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you hold down the power button to forcefully shut down the computer.

Then start the computer and immediately rapidly tap the F1 or F2 or escape or delete key.

Do any of those keys take you into the bios setup menu?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
F12 bring it to boot device window
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thats not the menu were looking for, unless it shows a security, advanced, & boot sections.

If you can find me the model number of your gateway computer, Then I could look up the correct bios key.

(* If F1 F2 Escape or delete didnt work )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gateway dx4860-ub21p desktop
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Its the F1 key..

When you very first press power to turn on the computer, in the next half second you have to rapidly tap the f1 key. That will get you into the bios. https://panam.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/P54CMB/00000015.shtml

Once inside the bios, we want to go to the security and boot section.

Disable secure boot, and disable fast boot if you see it.

If you see D2D recovery, enable it. Save t hose settings and exit.

Then, rapidly tap the f8 key when you start the computer. A blue screen should show up with a few options. Choose troubleshooting, then choose advanced, then choose a system restore and restore the computer to a day or two before the issues began..

If that doesnt work, go back into the same menu and choose refresh..

And if a refresh doesnt work, you will have to do a full reset from that menu. If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i disabled quiet boot, there was no secure boot of fast boot
no d2d recovery
restart fie F8 does not do anything
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so you did get into the bios..

Did you see an area mentioning boot priority, where you could change it to boot from a cd first, or a usb drive first?

Or, did you see where it said Legacy boot mode, csm boot mode, or Uefi boot mode?

if so, we want to change to legacy or csm.. ( temporarily)

And then try the F8 key.. if that doesnt work, we may have to create a recovery usb to repair windows 10.

These are all critical steps, and if your not comfortable or familiar with them, it would probably be best if we spoke over the phone to ensure the steps are completed correctly.

Dustin S.