Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My latitude 5420 just crashed. It got stuck in flash, I turned

Customer Question

my latitude 5420 just crashed. It got stuck in flash, I turned it off, turned it back on, got a can't boot thing, hit any key to reboot, I did and it asked for a password. I never had a password
JA: A password ***** huh? It happens to all of us! Fortunately, the wizards we work with know tech inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with one right away. Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: it just won't boot. It's never done this. I know nothing about computers
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. To get started, I need to know what version of windows you have installed on the machine currently, windows 7, windows 8 or windows 10? Thank you, Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
win 7 premium. it says no boot device
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you connect to a pc with a possibly fired hard drive?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I cannot connect to a pc unless it will boot. Let me ask you this, if you shut down the computer.. remove the power cord, remove the battery, press and hold power for 30 seconds. Then, plug in the battery and power cord and turn on the computer and enter the bios / setup menu. If you check the boot section, what is listed as your first boot device, word for word?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go do that and let you know.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
All right. take your time~ D.S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do you get into the bios setup menu?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still says no boot device found
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to get into the bios menu? If so, did you check the boot section? If so, what did you see? If you couldnt get into the bios menu, its usually the F1 or F2 key that you press as soon as you press power to turn it on. You can only enter the bios menu within the first second or two of pressing power.. So if you dont see the old bios menu.. Then try again~ Let me know if your able to get into the bios, or not. Thank you, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in the bios menu. I'll check the boot section. It has 5 things in the boot sequence section all checked off, and legacy checked in the next section.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
In the boot sequence , what do you have listed word for word, from first to last? Also, do you see above the boot section, does it say secure boot is enabled or disabled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not in that part, I don't have any of that.I'll take it in somewhere tomorrow, I don't know what I'm doing well enough to follow you online.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.. My final piece of advice, dont let them sell you on a new motherboard This is one of two issues, either you need a new hard drive. Or you need your bios settings set right to boot properly in windows 8 / 10. A new hard drive shouldnt cost more then 50$ for the part, keep that in mind Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Justin. If the hard drives fried, I lost everything, not good. It's win 7. I appreciate the advice.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Its more likely an issue with your bios settings being changed or altered.. Or the boot sector on the drive being damaged. Never consider your files lost till you remove the hard drive and connect it to a known working computer using a cable set similar to this http://amzn.to/1VPFNeY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll do what you say to do. You've been very helpful. Hopefully, the data on the drive is still available.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Most often even on a failed drive that wont boot.. Connecting that drive to a different machine using the cable set I mentioned works a vast majority of the time.. EVen with a corrupted boot sector, when you connect the drive externally via a usb port the boot sector no longer matters.. Its a simple, and cheap way to save data that works more often then not. And if you order the cable set, as long as you reply to me on this same thread when you get it I will be more then happy to help guide you in using it~ I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did follow your link and order it. Do I have your help for more than tonight? If so, I will definitely reach out to you when I get this. It would be great if you could help me find the hard drive on this thing and then guide me through the next steps. I'd way prefer that than taking it somewhere.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
And I prefer teaching people how to repair things themselves, it builds trust and also, reduces your need for paid tech support for similar issues for the rest of your computing life! You do have my help for more then just tonight.. This conversation will be available to you as long as you remember the email address you used when you asked this question at justanswer, and also, as long as you reply to this same conversation~ Now, as far as your hard drive.. This video should show you how to remove it~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ohUIUwmWWs Just remember, removing the hard drive will only allow us to save the data on that hard drive, and we will need a second computer to save the data onto. As far as repairing the computer once we remove the hard drive, when we get to that point you will have to order a new hard drive. ( but still, the cost of parts is far less expensive then paying a shop to repair it, or replacing the computer outright.. ) Just in case you wanted to repair the dell latitude after we remove the hard drive, you can get a discount hard drive here http://amzn.to/1WU6fDf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I'd like to learn how to do this. I'll be back as soon as this thing comes.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
All right, I will keep an eye out for your replies when the cable set arrives. D.S