Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

There's no windows update listed in services.

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Are you just trying to do the normal Windows updates?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and it says the service isn't running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows update isn't listed under services, so I can't enable it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Try clicking on the Start button and type Windows Updates in the search field and let me know what comes up please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check for updates, view installed updates, run programs made for previous versions of windows, and windows updates.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Try this. Click Start, Control Panel, System and Security, then Turn automatic updating on or off. If it is off, then turn it on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no off or on. I have it set to install updates automatically, every day @ 3 a.m.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
When was the last time you received updates?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10/17/2014 on Microsoft Office 2007.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've ran Malwarebytes-Anti Malware and I also have ESET Smart Security.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I have heard of some types of viruses that can cause this. Have you scanned recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Sunday. I've tried all kinds of things to get the windows update back into services, but to no avail. There's plenty of users that have the same issue with windows 7. I have windows 7 professional, service pack 1.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, give me a minute please.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Go to this LINK and download and run FixIt. Let me know if that restores the update service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already ran FixIt. Doesn't do anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
People, in the forums, say they've contacted Microsoft and they don't seem to have any answers, either.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay give me another minute please.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
When you ran the FixIt program, did you run it as administrator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't give me that option. When I try to tun it, it gives me an error stating the requested service provider could not be located or initialized.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
run
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If you right click on it, it should let you run it as administrator?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get it to install, now. I ran it Sunday and nothing happened.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
What I have found is, most likely at some time, a virus deleted the update entries from the registry. Here is a LINK with instructions to restore the entries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran the Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services Diagnostics and received this error message telling me to check for connections to URLs used in SDP service.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
That may just be a problem with the service. Microsoft no longer maintains it but it usually works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded the seven zip file and Win Zip gave me an error: Unable to seek to beginning of central directory. Looks like I have other issue, also. I need to hit the sack. Have to get up early for work. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Here is one more LINK to try. Let me know when you can as I am very curious as to the outcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll try it, tomorrow, and see what happens.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Have a good night!