My external hard drive - Maxtor One Touch is seen as a drive,

Customer Question
but not recognized or available...
my external hard drive - Maxtor One Touch is seen as a drive, but not recognized or available. Error message prompts me to format drive before using
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Computer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I'm not sure what you're asking - the issue above is what's going on
JA: Is there anything else the Computer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The drive was recently dropped from a shelf 12" high
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/1/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Rylan Sharpe, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Rylan Sharpe
Rylan Sharpe, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did you previously have data on the drive and it was working? When it dropped, was it plugged in and on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes.
Yes.
Okay, right now, is there a clicking or grinding noise from the drive when it is on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I can hear it spinning, but no clicking or griniding
Okay, two possible problems... Either there was data saving to the drive when it disconnected/dropped and that broke the connection and the data saved partially which caused corruption. The other option is that the drive was physically damaged and there is an internal error (drives can be quite fragile). Is there important data on it that you are needing access to?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes.
Okay, do not press the format button, let me find a tool that could help us here.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There wasn't any data transmitting when the disconnection/drop happened.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right. Formatting would be the end of any data, I imagine.
That is correct. There could be a possibility that the data is already damaged, but I will help you explore all possible options.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great.
Okay, two ways of doing this. I can try to walk you through it, if you are comfortable trying a few things and possibly changing settings, or I can remotely log in and try for you. I am going to present an offer for me to remotely login and help you now, but if you prefer, we can proceed on here.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm comfortable following your direction
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm comfortable continuing on the chat is what I mean
Understood. I am looking for a utility that I have used in the past this kind of issue.
http://filefactory.com/file/6hokwaneu7z3/rs-recover_rn_aff.exe please try this program, which will help us pull the data off. After we get it off and onto your computer, the pressure is off that we might lose data and we can then format the drive.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, sounds good. it looks like the file is a 10 minute download at my isp speeds
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will I need the equivalent of the drive's capacity available on my computer?
No problem, take your time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, it's running - what's next?
Please choose basic edition and then try to recover the files from the external drive.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok - loading drives
Okay, crossing my finders on my end.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, it is identifying 382g of data on the drive - good news. I don't remember how much was on there, but it's only a 500g drive. My problem is, I don't have a quick place to put 382g. Does it make sense to limit the recovery to the files I need this moment and run the balance of this when I'm at work with much more access to fast network drives?
Yes, perfect sense, but be 100% sure to not save anything on the drive and not format. If I were you, I would recover the most valuable data immediately and as much as possible, just in case there is hardware issue too. I would also go to a local store and purchase a replacement or find something to save the other information to ASAP.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, thanks. I just realized I mistook a partition on my computer for the drive - it didn't recognize the external hard drive
Once all of the data is moved, then you can try to do the format, and then a disk scan. I would still be cautious of this drive going forward, due to these problems. It is always best to have all data in two places at once. On your local drive and your external drive, etc.
Okay, I have another software that I use that isn't as user friendly, let me find it for you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, thanks
Here you go: https://www.piriform.com/recuva
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It lists the drive (without One Touch title) as an option, but then error message says that it is inaccessible
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
stuck on deep scan - 0% progress
This is not sounding good. Most likely a hardware issue. You have two options now... you will have to decide how much the data is worth to you. There are recovery services that can help us, but they are quite expensive. We can keep trying, but the more we try, the higher the risk of us losing the data.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, thanks. I'll bring it in to our IT department. I'd rather have all of the files permanently than just a few now
Okay. When you bring it to them, best to tell them that the drive fell while powered on and now it does not detect the partitions. Either needs a partition recovery or the drive should be removed from the case and try to perform recovery with specialized software. Please also express to them a monetary value of the data. Lets say, for example, $5000 and they know it costs $2,000 to send it out to get recovered, they are more likely to make that decision.
Thank you for using our service, at this time I would appreciate positive feedback in helping you with your issue. If you have follow-up questions, I am happy to answer.
Rylan Sharpe
Rylan Sharpe