We had IE11 on the computer. reason it was deleted

Customer Question
We had IE11 on the...
We had IE11 on the computer. For some reason it was deleted and the only thing that remains is IE8 which appears to be embedded in Windows. Whenever I try to reinstall IE9, IE10 or IE11, the install gets almost the whole way through and then fails. We want IE11 back. What to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/25/2016
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 1 year ago
Richard, Computer Specialist
Hi there and welcomeWhen you try to install Internet explorer 11, what message do you get when it fails?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is was unable to finish installing and a six or eight digit code.
ThanksClick Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator. A black window will open. Type in it sfc /scannow press enter and when it has completed, type in chkdsk /r Press enter. It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer. Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has. Then try to install it from my link belowhttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx Let me know the results please.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There were no violations in the first run. When the computer restarted it still said NTFS and clean. I tried the download link and got a message that said Internet Explorer was unable to finish installing. Same thing as I have been getting.
Can I have the full and complete error message with any numbers please
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To clarify, when I try to download from the upgrades, that is usually when I get a message code. If that helps.
ThanksClick start, right click computer and select propertiesTell me if you see service pack 1 there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean updates, not upgrades.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes, service pack 1
ok, can you try to install updates and tell me what happens pleaseOpen Control Panel.Click System and Security.Click Windows Update.If it errors, give me the exact error please
thanks, ***** ***** 9 causing thisClick the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.Click Restart now to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9.Then try to install Internet Explorer 11Let me know the results please
one thing before you do
If you do not have another internet browser, download google chrome fromwww.google.com/chromeSo you can install iE 11 after uninstalling ie9
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no IE9 listed there.
It is then labelled just as internet explorerIf you do not see it there, then go to Windows Features and uncheck the internet explorer box there to uninstall it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The one there is listed as IE8, does that change your instructions?
no, uninstall that please
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That seems to have totally cleaned out my computer of my work, programs and email. IE11 is trying to download, so if successful, am I going to have to recreate all my work now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great IE11 just failed. Now I have no IE and all of my work and programs are gone. WTF?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You didn't warn me that would happen!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?
ok, my instructions was to first install Google Chrome before doing this. as I did warn you of this.Did you do this first as I asked?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You said to make sure I had a browser. You did not say I would loose my work and programs. That is three years worth of records. I had firefox. Although Google Chrome is on there, but I dont use Chrome. I dont like Chrome. I want my work and programs back!
work and programs? You just uninstalled Internet Explorer 8.What exactly did you do as it was not uninstalling internet explorer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont have any IE at this point, and essentially you just had me scrap my computer. What do you propose I do to fix it now.
Scrap your computer? I asked you to uninstall Internet Explorer, via the instructions I gave, nothing about work or uninstalling other programs.So again please, what exactly did you go an do?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont have word, Excel, etc. I dont have other independent programs. I dont have files and records that I saved. All I did was uncheck the check to uninstall IE8 as you said. It restarted the computer. I tried to download IE11 and it failed. Now I have less than what I did before. If all it was doing was uninstalling IE8, then where did all my stuff go.
IE8 has nothing to do with these programs, so really not clear why they would dissapear, possible you have uninstalled other options.Your work would still be there, it looks like you uninstalled office as well.But undo what you did via a system restore.Click start, type in system restore and press enterFollow the onscreen instructions to perform a system restore before the time you did this last action to return the computer to how it was.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only followed your directions. Why would you expect that anyone had a blank computer to begin with? Everyone has programs and work on their computer.
I do not know what your referring to with my expectation of a blank computer....Please do the last instructions I gave you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to download IE11 and it failed. Now I have no IE and none of the directories, files, programs, email, etc that I had before. What else was it that you expected me to do?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where did all that go?
The instructions I gave you.I will repeat the instructions again.IE8 has nothing to do with these programs, so really not clear why they would dissapear, possible you have uninstalled other options.Your work would still be there, it looks like you uninstalled office as well.But undo what you did via a system restore.Click start, type in system restore and press enterFollow the onscreen instructions to perform a system restore before the time you did this last action to return the computer to how it was.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the computer back to when I first started it this morning. Thank goodness. Obviously, the process you suggested does not work as IE11 would not finish installing.
Too be honest there is a lot more issues with the computer then just IE not installing. It should not have dissapeared and the issues we had before should not happened.To properly solve this, as all repairs have failed and based on what has happened, you really need to reinstall windows. IE wont install if it has not already, and as it is so integrated we will need to do a reinstall. Regardless of any of this, now is the time to be backing up your files as your computer is unstable.First though, what specifically do you want IE 11 for? As opposed to using Google Chrome or Firefox?
Richard, Computer Specialist